New cactus house

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
davidfair
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

New cactus house

Post by davidfair »

This summer saw me move my mixed collection from an old Alton greenhouse into a "cactus house" built onto the side of our house. As well as a lovely ambient environment for the plants we use the room for entertaining and relaxing. My wife and I see much more of the plants which means they get much closer attention, and my wife being much more organised than me insists the space is kept clean and tidy. The cactus house has underfloor heating, double-glazed windows and doors, and a 5-ply polycarbonate roof. Repotting, seed-raising, and housing less show-worthy plants all occurs in a more traditional greenhouse away from the cactus house. Quite a lot of succulents are still outside at this time off the year so I'll soon have to be ruthless about which ones go into the cactus house and which go back into the greenhouse.
The photos show a couple of views of the cactus house being built and then a couple of views from inside it now, and some of my echeverias and larger aloes still outside.
The exterior landscaping of the cactus house isn't quite done yet, so I'll post some more photos when it's ready.
David and Nicola, York
Attachments
some echeverias and larger aloes enjoying late Summer fresh air
some echeverias and larger aloes enjoying late Summer fresh air
inside the cactus house
inside the cactus house
inside the cactus house
inside the cactus house
cactus house being built
cactus house being built
cactus house being built
cactus house being built
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: New cactus house

Post by juster »

This is a very interesting idea David and I'm sure it will work really well. Repotting in the warmth sounds a great idea for the winter.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

That is very impressive David. You can now co-exist in harmony with your plants.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

It looks a delightful place and I'm very impressed that you put many plants on conventional furniture. My only worry is that your desire to increase your collection may overcrowd the room and push out some furniture and possibly you. How many more will there be in winter? You have a lot outside, as I do, and it can be a real problem cramming them all inside.
A closer look at the plants would be very nice, if you could manage it. :grin:
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
KathyM
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KathyM »

I visited on York's open greenhouse day and was really impressed. Lots of interesting caudiciforms, Euphorbias, miniature Agaves, etc. My mum was really inspired by how the plants were displayed on bookshelves and cabinets and has been looking for interesting old furniture on ebay! She has a boring old conservatory not a cactus house though.