Video tour instead of Open Day

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Video tour instead of Open Day

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Paul that greenhouse is a credit to you , thanks for the video.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

That’s the cleanest looking greenhouse I’ve ever seen! Maybe I do want one after all..

Can I ask how you deal with pests please? I always wondered how people cope with so many plants
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

HaoBao wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:09 am That’s the cleanest looking greenhouse I’ve ever seen! Maybe I do want one after all..

Can I ask how you deal with pests please? I always wondered how people cope with so many plants
It is a constant battle, and I try all and every method available. It's a case of really constant vigilance and keep hitting them with whatever is to hand. I've found that timing is quite important- I go through every plant in late winter / early spring, one by one, and check for any signs. It's usually only mealy bug that is visible at that stage. Any plants which look a bit sickly get depotted and thoroughly inspected and cleaned. It's a huge job which takes a few days but I enjoy doing it, and it is combined with repotting / potting on. Then I spray in April once the temperature has got up enough to make pests mobile; then again three or four weeks later with a different chemical, and through the summer whenever I see signs. The chemical depends on what I can get / what is legal. Regardless of what it is, I use a gas mask and rubber gloves, and keep out of the glasshouse for a couple of days afterwards.
I tried biological control last year and it was a disaster for both the finances and thrips, which thrived and damaged quite a few plants.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
GinnyClaire
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by GinnyClaire »

Wow! What a collection. Your greenhouse looks amazing, I could spend hours in there browsing! I was lucky enough to get hold of some of your young plants this year which I am extremely pleased with, lovely plants, thank you!
Hope we get more video tours! :grin:
Ginny >:D<:gl:

Abergavenny Wales UK
BCSS member
Instagram @ginny006_cacti

Cacti collector - mainly Gymnocalyciums, Astrophytums, Rebutia's and Mammillaria's.