Cylindropuntia ramosissima SB1792

This forum is for discussion about small Opuntias, open to all.
chris68
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Cylindropuntia ramosissima SB1792

Post by chris68 »

Does anyone grow this plant? I obtained this from Michael Kiessling 3 years ago and I don't think it has grown anymore! Looks healthy enough and the roots are fine any tips? It is grown in our 'standard' loose potting mix which seems to correspond well to the NCL description of growing in 'loose, gravelly soil'. There are two stems which have flower remains so it has been growing happily at sometime in its life. Is it a particularly slow growing species or am I doing something wrong?

Fantastic patterns on the stem.

Thanks in advance.
Cylindropuntia ramosissima 002.JPG
Cylindropuntia ramosissima.JPG
Varied collection of mostly cacti with some Agave and Aloes - space is always the problem!!
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: Cylindropuntia ramosissima SB1792

Post by Mike P »

Not being located in the far South of Germany? I have a couple of Michaels plants which flowered the year I got them and not since which I put down to the lower light levels in the UK.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I put that down to cuttings being taken with pre-programmed flower buds that produce flowers in the first year but then no more until the plant reaches a decent size again. The ramosissima flower remains may even have been on the plant when the cuttings were taken. Opuntia growth is often slow in new cuttings - they definitely need to build up reserves before making new cladodes, though 3 years is a bit much. More water, more nutrients? If it doesn't grow much next spring, maybe keep it outdoors through the summer and cross your fingers for spring 2022?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
chris68
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by chris68 »

Thanks for the replies. This is the only 'small' opuntia I have had any trouble getting to grow, I had noticed that they take sometime to really get going from cuttings - but as you say Phil 2 years is a bit much. As regard the lower light levels I thought I would have had some growth by now even if only vegetative and no flowers.

I will persevere and try more water etc. as this is a very attractive plant.

Cheers,
Chris
Varied collection of mostly cacti with some Agave and Aloes - space is always the problem!!