Puna from seed - any advice?

This forum is for discussion about small Opuntias, open to all.
MaciejW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HERNE BAY

Puna from seed - any advice?

Post by MaciejW »

Hi all,
I have managed to buy some Puna seeds this autumn for the next year's sowing. The species are
PUNA bonnieae
PUNA clavarioides (Maihueniopsis)
PUNA subterranea (Cumulopuntia)
PUNA subterranea ssp. pulcherrima (Cumulopuntia)

Any tips or advice you may have from your experience in getting these started? Normal 'cacti' from seed treatment or different approach?
Thanks, Maciej
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Puna from seed - any advice?

Post by Aiko »

Are the seeds big (and beige in colour)?
I reckon they like heath and a lot of patience. I would not be surprised it might take a few months for them to germinate.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Aiko wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:42 pm I would not be surprised it might take a few months for them to germinate.
Or even a few years (several goes).
C. subterranea (and ssp.) is this easiest in my limited experience of these from seed.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
MaciejW
BCSS Member

Post by MaciejW »

Aiko wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:42 pm Are the seeds big (and beige in colour)?
I reckon they like heath and a lot of patience. I would not be surprised it might take a few months for them to germinate.
I have not received them yet - they are on their way as we speak.
MaciejW
BCSS Member

Post by MaciejW »

Tony R wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:43 pm
Aiko wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:42 pm I would not be surprised it might take a few months for them to germinate.
Or even a few years (several goes).
C. subterranea (and ssp.) is this easiest in my limited experience of these from seed.
Thanks Tony. Any luck with pre-treatment of the seeds? Luckily I am a patient person ;)
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Firstly all four species are easy from cuttings, so you are going the hard way.
I agree with what everyone has said above and you will do well to get one or two to germinate in each pot the first year ( 2021 ) with maybe a few more in each pot the second year ( 2022 ).
The main problem I found was that the first year the seedlings need or can be kept moist, but the second year of their life they like to be a lot dryer, so you end up watering one side of the pot and trying to keep the other side fairly dry, but they do start to grow quite quickly the second year. I have no experience of growing clavarioiodes from seed ( only cuttings ) so this advice only applies to the other three.
Best of luck with the project and keep us informed next summer to how things are going, no pretreatment needed and yes you will need to be patient.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
MaciejW
BCSS Member

Post by MaciejW »

RAYWOODBRIDGE wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:01 pm Firstly all four species are easy from cuttings, so you are going the hard way.
I agree with what everyone has said above and you will do well to get one or two to germinate in each pot the first year ( 2021 ) with maybe a few more in each pot the second year ( 2022 ).
The main problem I found was that the first year the seedlings need or can be kept moist, but the second year of their life they like to be a lot dryer, so you end up watering one side of the pot and trying to keep the other side fairly dry, but they do start to grow quite quickly the second year. I have no experience of growing clavarioiodes from seed ( only cuttings ) so this advice only applies to the other three.
Best of luck with the project and keep us informed next summer to how things are going, no pretreatment needed and yes you will need to be patient.
Thanks Ray. My intention was to get some cuttings this year, but the pandemic made it impossible to attend any events where I was hoping to obtain them. Seeds became the only option.
I will give it a go and we will see!