Tephrocactus Geometricus problem

This forum is for discussion about small Opuntias, open to all.
HaoBao
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Tephrocactus Geometricus problem

Post by HaoBao »

Hi, does anybody know what the two dark spots are on the right ball? there was only one spot and now it seems like it’s spreading as there’s two. Should I cut off the ball or try cutting the spots out maybe?
Attachments
2B7CD479-A4D8-45E8-A658-1C3D347CC87C.jpeg
6478CA4A-EFA4-44E2-94AB-2C6EF6EE03E9.jpeg
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Tephrocactus Geometricus problem

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

That is a common problem on this species in winter, to much humidity and fungus gets a hold.
First give it a good spray with bug gun fungal killer or something similar which should control the spread, move plant to a dryer place, but if it still spreads just take the segment off the plant before it spreads down inside to the others.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Thank you Ray, I removed the segment, used a sterilised Stanley blade, and I didn’t do a very good job of it to be honest. I cut away the first black spot and it just kind of popped off. Then there were two others close to each other and when I cut them I could see it looked discoloured deeper inside. Looks like rot to me but I don’t know.
Attachments
777BE424-682A-499D-AF27-B553D78D6D08.jpeg
43F70C79-B620-4480-920B-294740B679FA.jpeg
3A1BDA67-8C8D-480F-B502-7056E8633417.jpeg
4879F74D-205D-43D9-91B1-2F97CF448280.jpeg
32890606-CE57-400A-9D37-08194C30033C.jpeg
152BD54B-3F99-4E74-8D99-BF0C69BFBA5E.jpeg
6840155E-90E5-4A4B-A346-A46385F28A8A.jpeg

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I posted a similar ‘dissection’ about 10 years ago (maybe slightly less- time flies). There is a good discussion on this topic in Michael Kießling’s book on Small Opuntias. Some clones seem more prone than others. In the past I left the segments attached to one of my more ‘rough’ plants to see what happens and it dried out leaving a scarred segment from which new ‘clean’ segments then grow. Probably not recommended but interesting.
It also Occurs on a few other similar plants and I also conclude it’s related to high humidity.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Hi Mike, thanks for having a look and the advice.

I put this one under the lights that have the fan on them to try and improve the airflow. I have been moving the whole collection around quite a bit recently since we moved house so I’m shopping for a new shelving system and lights so I can put more plants together in front of the fan.

I had a look for the book and saw these two, one matches the author but then I saw the Pilbeam one called Small Opuntias and it made me wonder if there was a mix up?

Do you mean your segment had a fungal problem and you cut the bad parts out but left the segment on the plant. It dried up and then sent out new segments from the cut one?

I would’ve preferred to do that but I was worried that whatever causes these spots would spread to the whole plant, if it hasn’t already.

Do you think I could remove the top segment to try and start a new better looking plant? And if I could are there any tips for doing it?
Attachments
844B654C-6CE9-4B9C-B125-A5522145DDCF.png
82DC2011-90AB-4B56-8E06-24F28A4E7573.png

Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Definitely the former, downloadable at https://cactuspro.com/biblio/en:kiessling though Mike should really be recommending the other...... :grin:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Yes that’s the Michael Kießling book. I was being generic with my description. It’s out of print but you can download a PDF of it from here:
http://www.cactuspro.com/biblio/en:kiessling
The other book is still available.....
I didn’t try and treat the ‘rot’ in the affected segment on the old and tatty T geometricus and it didn’t spread to the rest of the segments. The ‘rot’ dried into a hard crust on the affected segment and the segment then grew a new one. The damage was limited to three or four areoles . In the dissection I posted the segment was removed and cut up and the ‘rot’ was widespread. I would leave your plant alone now . The wound should dry up and eventually be lost as the bottom segment becomes woody which is generally what happens to them in my experience. To be honest I find them hard plants to grow well which is not from want of trying! No doubt this will bring on a flood of very well grown plants.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Phil_SK wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:50 pm Definitely the former, downloadable at https://cactuspro.com/biblio/en:kiessling though Mike should really be recommending the other...... :grin:
Modesty prevents me Phil....
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Thank you for the recommendation and the link to the book. There’s so many different types of plants I’ve got it’s like spinning plates sometimes trying to keep on top of them all. Any time someone helps I really appreciate it.

Do you think it is a fungus on mine? And whether adding a fungicide to the water when I water it would help, as well as applying it to the outside like Ray said?

RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Mike you say you find it had to grow well this species, but I think plants with perfect olive green segments are difficult to grow but some how they are false, as every picture I have seen of these in habitat show plants that are very brown or woody with purple new segments, and some look so bad they would go on the compost heap if in my greenhouse. :roll:
What were the condition of the T. geometricus up in the roof of Michael's greenhouse in Germany when you where there, or am I thinking of someone else. :!:
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.