Tephrocactus ID and Growth Habit Question Topic is solved

This forum is for discussion about small Opuntias, open to all.
babytoes1956
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Tephrocactus ID and Growth Habit Question

Post by babytoes1956 »

Unidentified Tephro
Unidentified Tephro
I am seeking assistance from the TSG members to identify my Tephrocactus, and possibly answer a care question. Is my plant putting on a new growth, and do they commonly tear their way through the dermis? I tend to grow my cacti hard, in the quest to keep them roughly the size they might appear in habitat. All opinions and comments appreciated.
BCSS 53332
MSG 3276
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Tephrocactus ID and Growth Habit Question

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

I think you will find that it is Tephrocactus alexanderi , the form that is sometimes called var.bruchii.
Do they tear open when a new shoot appears ? I can't say I have noticed this but it could well do and that areole does look as if it is sending a new segment up.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
babytoes1956
BCSS Member

Post by babytoes1956 »

RAYWOODBRIDGE wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:52 pm I think you will find that it is Tephrocactus alexanderi , the form that is sometimes called var.bruchii.
Do they tear open when a new shoot appears ? I can't say I have noticed this but it could well do and that areole does look as if it is sending a new segment up.
Thank you so much, Ray. I shall make a label. And thanks for the comments on the growth. I was concerned that the dermal tear put the cactus at risk of moisture loss, but the growth has to issue from some point,
BCSS 53332
MSG 3276
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Can we see a side view? I wondered if it was T aoracanthus..
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
babytoes1956
BCSS Member

Post by babytoes1956 »

Mike P wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:03 pm Can we see a side view? I wondered if it was T aoracanthus..
Side view, as requested.
2CBFD059-EDF1-4DDE-A49C-144681D4AE62.jpeg
BCSS 53332
MSG 3276
babytoes1956
BCSS Member

Post by babytoes1956 »

babytoes1956 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:23 pm
Mike P wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:03 pm Can we see a side view? I wondered if it was T aoracanthus..
Side view, as requested.2CBFD059-EDF1-4DDE-A49C-144681D4AE62.jpeg
Mike, you jogged my memory! This is Tephrocactus aoracanthus, that I purchased from a vendor in Bulgaria, of all places in September 2019. You also helped me to find the name of another plant I purchased at the same time from her, Maihueniopsis darwinii var hickenii. I learned a hard lesson, namely to make labels as soon as possible when you get new cacti! Invoices get misplaced so easily. Many thanks, my friend!
BCSS 53332
MSG 3276
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by jerryb23 »

Definitely looks like T Aoracanthus. Here is my 5 segment columnar plant obtained, I believe, from Ralph Northcott 5 or 6 years ago at the Havering cactus mart. It's now 15 inches tall and puts on a new segment every year or two. As you can see the older segments seem to mark up (maybe cold/damp) and it has yet to flower or branch but I'm keeping it to see what develops. I must say the spines are the most vicious I have seen on an opuntia although they don't seem to be barbed.
Attachments
20210622_T Aoracanthus.jpg