Haworthia seedlings and condensation in the bag

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
Nick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Haworthia seedlings and condensation in the bag

Post by Nick »

Hi folks, i have a number of Haworthia seedlings in bags - all were sterilised prior to sowing, and have remained closed, inside my propagator since. Although there is no apparent sign of mould, or seedling loss, i’m a bit worried that there is so much condensation inside the bags. Leave as is, or open the bags to let the water evaporate, and then keep open or reclose them - any advice please?
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Haworthia seedlings and condensation in the bag

Post by Aiko »

I always keep it closed, until I am happy with the germination rate, or until I don't expect any more germination, or until algae is starting to grow. That is my key to allow for fresh air.

I never worry about condensation. I even prefer it. This means the pots are usually not soaked but just moist, and the air has a high humidity. Now if only the temperature is set right, this should result in good germination.
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

Brilliant thanks Aiko :razz: I was worried they might be like Lithops which i think are less tolerant of continual high humidity post germination. Sealed bags make life easy :)
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Nick wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:36 am Brilliant thanks Aiko :razz: I was worried they might be like Lithops which i think are less tolerant of continual high humidity post germination.
Yes, people keep on saying so. But I have yet to see that in practise with my plants.