Paper towel method for Haworthia germination

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Paper towel method for Haworthia germination

Post by el48tel »

Doing a comparison experiment ... just started a few cacti seeds on paper and compost and will try others over the next few days. I don't have the space or inclination for 10 pots of 10 seeds of each, so it'll be a "roughie"
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

el48tel wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:54 pm Doing a comparison experiment ... just started a few cacti seeds on paper and compost and will try others over the next few days. I don't have the space or inclination for 10 pots of 10 seeds of each, so it'll be a "roughie"
And what is the verdict :?:
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:41 pm
el48tel wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:54 pm Doing a comparison experiment ... just started a few cacti seeds on paper and compost and will try others over the next few days. I don't have the space or inclination for 10 pots of 10 seeds of each, so it'll be a "roughie"
And what is the verdict :?:
The short answer is "inconclusive" and there are too many variables and factors which cloud the experiment.
The long answer is hidden in the lessons which were learned.

It is easier to see the germination on paper of Haworthia than against the dark background of compost.

The germination record of Haworthia is notorious if not poor.

Timing the transplantation of the recently germinated seeds from paper to compost is a tricky one. Too soon and the roots are not strong enough to support the plants. Too late and the roots go too far into the paper fibres making it harder to remove from the paper without detaching them from the plants. I have plants from early sowing in compost growing. I have later plants from the paper method now in compost growing. I have recently sown seeds which seem to be ok after the transplantation. I have lost plants from all methods.

Paper dries out much faster than compost. Water evaporates from the paper to the container lid, condenses, and then the seedlings desiccate. Too much water in the paper causes the seeds to rot before they germinate. This is regardless of the sterilisation of the water or use of fungicide.

In another experiment I sprinkled some Echinopsis seeds onto wet kitchen paper and polyurethane foam and polypropene scourer pad. All of these were in the same sandwich box in the same propagation unit under the same lights. The germination rates were comparable. I have tried on almost pure grit compared with almost pure JI#2. The germination rates were comparable.

My daughter is speaking favourably about sowing in pure vermiculite. I have a comparison experiment currently running, but the seeds were set late in the season. They are over heat and under lights. The vermiculite planted seeds were slower to germinate, but have caught up with their compost counterparts.

Draw whatever conclusions you may from these notes. C&S seeds will or won't germinate regardless of what you do!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Thank you, best to learn from someone else's mistakes (and successes!).

I am tempted to try a pure water germination, there was an article in the recent Haworthiad by Les Pearcy entitled "Seed snippets - alternative methods for germinating seeds" on water germination of older Aloe claviflora seeds, worth a try!
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:17 pm Thank you, best to learn from someone else's mistakes (and successes!).

I am tempted to try a pure water germination, there was an article in the recent Haworthiad by Les Pearcy entitled "Seed snippets - alternative methods for germinating seeds" on water germination of older Aloe claviflora seeds, worth a try!
I wish you well with whatever method you choose. Do report back on your findings ..... as you say .... best to learn from someone else's mistakes ....

I am persevering with the paper towel in take out tray method for the Haworthia. Paper towel in baggie was a disaster before putting the seeds in place. A non runner. I have found that there is a type of take out tray which has a slight gutter around the base edge so it holds more moisture without flooding the seeds. I'm saving these. But ... like all plastics ..... they go brittle and degrade ... and have limited re-use. Cacti are in compost in baggies .... but I may try vermiculite again.
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

I remember seeing Gerhard Marx mention that sowing the seeds densely together helped with germination rates due to the hormones exchanging. Something like that anyway.
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

HaoBao wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:27 am I remember seeing Gerhard Marx mention that sowing the seeds densely together helped with germination rates due to the hormones exchanging. Something like that anyway.
An interesting theory, but limited in practicality. Separating the tiny fragile seedlings from the paper is one thing. attempting to part them from their companions without losing the roots is another matter.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

It's really a matter of how you define "dense" and at what stage you want to prick them out. Some of mine were strong enough to survive not so gentle handling after maybe 6 months.

Edit: Same here about Conophytums at 13 minutes: https://youtu.be/bF1D5ADglMk
Mat
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

I’ll let Gerhard know
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.