Paper towel method for Haworthia germination

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
Nick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Paper towel method for Haworthia germination

Post by Nick »

Much excitement this morning at the arrival of the new seedlist. There was mention of the “Paper towel method” as a means of enhancing the germination rate of older seed. I’m presuming seeds on a damp towel in a ziplock bag under light at say 65-75F. Do you plant into compost as soon as they sprout, and what is the best compost? I’m thinking 75% ECP “cat litter” / 25% JI3.
Nick
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Paper towel method for Haworthia germination

Post by el48tel »

Yes equally excited .... and equally intrigued by the instructions
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Here is some information from Les Pearcy, the Haw Soc seeds distributor:

"An interesting development on germinating difficult and older seed was addressed in the on-line lecture given by Brian McDonough in April where he mentioned a variance on the sealed bag method. Instead of sowing in compost the seed is laid on damp kitchen paper and placed inside the bag. Details are written on the outside and the bag placed in the propagator or at this time of the year just in the greenhouse or a windowsill. The advantage of ensuring that the seed becomes thoroughly hydrated, especially when old appears to be very important. The next stage follows the method that we have seen when using the soaking method for Aloes such as A.polyphylla & A.comosa (reported in previous Haw Soc seed snippets) when the germinated seeds are removed and placed in compost to (hopefully) grow on as normal.
I have since adapted this and used small tubs which then gives a small distance between the damp paper/seed and the bag surface.
A couple of photos attached.
This could also be of use with some bulb seed which often shows erratic germination."

Paper towel in bag
Img_2705.jpg
Paper towel in tub in bag
Img_2765.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Nick
BCSS Member

Post by Nick »

Thankyou Tony, much appreciated :) Eating rollmops every day means i have lifetime (ish) supply of little plastic tubs, so i may try that variant.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Cactusgirl »

I've received my seeds this week and intend trying this method. Have I read it right that once seed germinated, we place it (complete with its paper) into pots? No need to enclose in a zip lock bag?
Thanks
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Where does one go from here? A desperate plea from a Haworthia newbie .....
I sowed the seeds a fortnight ago today (31st May).
They have germinated within the past 24 hours.
I expect to see a few more seedlings over the next few days ..... but ...... how does one proceed from here?
How long should the seedlings be allowed to remain on the paper?
Which type of compost is appropriate for growing on these very tiny plants?
How does one transfer to the new medium?
Are the seedlings placed onto the surface? Or is some attempt made to put them into the medium?
Is the medium to be wet or damp or dry?
How moist should the plants be kept? What frequency of watering is appropriate?
Are the plants to be placed in baggies? Or on the bench top?
How much light and warmth?
HELP!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Nick
BCSS Member

Post by Nick »

So did you get any help? I’m a totes newbie at the paper towel method - mine have started germinating too, and i’m wondering where to go next. Default will be to just move the germinated seeds into my normal sterilised seed compost and stick them back in the propagator at 19 - 25C. Not sure about sticking them back into bags unless i can reduce the humidity a bit, so they will probably just sit in the propagator.
Nick
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

I see in the June Haworthiad page 30 just published, Les Pearcy says "... the germinated seeds are removed and placed in compost to (hopefully) grow on as normal." Exactly as he said above.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Nick wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:23 pm So did you get any help? I’m a totes newbie at the paper towel method - mine have started germinating too, and i’m wondering where to go next. Default will be to just move the germinated seeds into my normal sterilised seed compost and stick them back in the propagator at 19 - 25C. Not sure about sticking them back into bags unless i can reduce the humidity a bit, so they will probably just sit in the propagator.
Nick
Yes I did get help .... from Les Pearcy himself

I've copied the e-mail I sent to him, below and his reply was simply an annotation of my mail, which was in a different colour, but I've underlined it.
I'll report back in due course

Sorry to have to ask .... I sowed the seeds a fortnight ago today (31st May).
They have germinated within the past 24 hours.
I expect to see a few more seedlings over the next few days ..... but ...... how does one proceed from here?
How long should the seedlings be allowed to remain on the paper? I would leave them for about a week after germinating
Which type of compost is appropriate for growing on these very tiny plants? Use your normal succulent plant compost but take out any large lumps
How does one transfer to the new medium? I use a pair of tweezers and carefully place the germinated seed on the surface of a 2 inch pot
Are the seedlings placed onto the surface? Or is some attempt made to put them into the medium? Surface
Is the medium to be wet or damp or dry? Moist but not wet
How moist should the plants be kept? What frequency of watering is appropriate? If in the bag for a couple of months you shouldn't need to put more water in
Are the plants to be placed in baggies? Or on the bench top? Put the pot back into a sealed bag and place in semi shade. I sometimes use the east facing spare bedroom windowsill
How much light and warmth? semi shade, no extra heating
Nick
BCSS Member

Post by Nick »

Great thankyou ;) i need to take a break from cross- fertilising the grown-ups, and deal with the babies.