Gasteria polita

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Gasteria polita

Post by Ernie »

First described in 2001 by Ernst van Jaarsveld. Critically endangered in the wild but easily cultivated. I got this in 2018 from a source in Germany who in turn had got it direct from Van Jaarsveld. It did not show any signs of growth in 2018 or in 2019 but is now developing. This plant resulted in me having all the described species of Gasteria (I think but Tony may disagree) If anyone does not think its polita please say so..
DSCN6726.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: Gasteria polita

Post by Tony R »

Ernie wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:48 pm First described in 2001 by Ernst van Jaarsveld. Critically endangered in the wild but easily cultivated. I got this in 2018 from a source in Germany who in turn had got it direct from Van Jaarsveld. It did not show any signs of growth in 2018 or in 2019 but is now developing.
Hi, Ernie. Still a juvenile but shows promise - one of the key characteristics are the tubercles (I call them blisters, either whitish or translucent) on the leaf edges of the (particularly) adult leaves. I can just about see some on your two most recent leaves.
EvJ in his original description says: margin tuberculate-crenate, rarely tuberculate-serrate towards apex; tubercles pinkish, cartilaginous and slightly translucent.

Here are some examples, in habitat left and centre, in my collection right.

polita leaf edges.jpg

Ernie wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:48 pm This plant resulted in me having all the described species of Gasteria (I think but Tony may disagree)
Having a 'complete set' of gasterias is a moveable feast these days. Since the 34 taxa described in EvJ's synoptic review in Aloe (2007), we now have 6 further taxa making 40 in all:

Gasteria croucheri ssp. pondoensis (2011)
Gasteria barbae (2014)
Gasteria loedolffiae (2014)
Gasteria koenii (2017)
Gasteria camillae (2020)
Gasteria visserii (2020)

Surely it has to stop - how many more new discoveries or descriptions might we have?!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

Hi Tony. Interesting thank you. I certainly don't have the six you mention but given my Gasteria collection now exceeds 60 plants and I have no more room I will have to give them a miss. Yes I agree it has to stop sometime, I am 73 now and don't feel inclined to try and keep up any longer. BTW I managed to get a mint copy of Jaarsvelds original book last year. At the time it was originally published I got a copy with my name published in the back along with all the other buyers. Sadly I sold it when I had a black period. The recent copy was £90, first edition, from a UK book dealer. I am pleased to have it back. The illustrations are something else!. Back on the bookshelf next to the grass aloes book.
I recall very well an excellent talk you gave some years ago at the Teesside branch. You kept asking members who had 1 Gasteria plant and so on. My hand was the last one standing when you got to over 20. I just love them but not many do in our branch.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

gasteria polita.JPG
Gasteria Polita is quite distinctive, grows like a small form of G.Excelsa and forms a rosette at a small size. All plants I've seen have smooth, dark angular leaves, all from the interestingly named Whiskey Creek. The one in the photo from my collection is only in a 4in pot but I take a couple of lower leaves each time repot and it comes quite well from leaves. The one in the first photo might be a Bicolor if it has smooth leaves or Carinata if textured but I can't see any Polita there.

Stuart