Aloe haworthioides var aurantiaca

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
Terry S.
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Aloe haworthioides var aurantiaca

Post by Terry S. »

Colin disparaged Reynolds in another thread as being out-of-date. Consult it and you will find that the plants of var. aurantiaca are very similar to the type with equally bristly leaves. It differs in "having the whole spike including axis, bracts and perianths of beautiful bright orange-red with the stamens yellow". Unfortunately, no colour pictures are included.

Perianth for the type is given as "white to pale pink", no mention of filament colour.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I listed both the Reynolds books on ebay about five years ago, realising that they were very dated and I rarely made any use of them. Despite having over 2500 'followers' on ebay, the starting price was £2.50 and the Africa one sold for £5 and the Madagascar one £7.50. Maybe a bargain but I've not missed them.

Stuart
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:12 am I listed both the Reynolds books on ebay about five years ago, realising that they were very dated and I rarely made any use of them. Despite having over 2500 'followers' on ebay, the starting price was £2.50 and the Africa one sold for £5 and the Madagascar one £7.50. Maybe a bargain but I've not missed them.

Stuart
:eek: That's not much is it. It can't have been much further back that those volumes were fetching in excess of £100 each. Perhaps the Kew volume reduced their worth.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse