care for aloe advice please

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
11nick
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: WILTSHIRE

care for aloe advice please

Post by 11nick »

Very basic question I'm afraid!

I have a few Aloe Murei that I grew from club seed in 2015. I am currently letting them enjoy the outdoors once the weather turns to Summer, and then in the Autumn bringing them in to the potting shed and leaving them unwatered until the Spring.

Someone recently saw them and said that they needed watering, which made me realise that I didn't know if they grow in the winter like some other plants I have!

Could someone please give me a bit of advice on care for these plants? They are about 6inches across and the same high I would guess (or maybe a bit bigger). I've tried to add a photo of one of them if that helps...

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attachments
aloe.jpg
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: care for aloe advice please

Post by esp »

What works for you, works!

I've been in a similar situation, have grown an Aloe successfully as a summer grower for years before finding out it's a winter grower.
In practice they are normally very adaptable to a sensible succulent growing regime.

In habitat, many Aloes are winter growers, so if kept warm (or at least more or less frost free overnight) and with sunny days, they would be happy to be watered. In the UK, winter is cold and with very little daylight, so is a poor growing period. If you don't have a greenhouse, conservatory or spare windowsill space, keeping the plant in the shed may be a sensible option, even if it's looking a bit dehydrated in the run up to spring.

Presumably it looks good over summer when hydrated again?

Not sure about the id. Normal Aloe striata maybe?
11nick
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by 11nick »

Thanks for that! Yes, they open up a bit in the Summer when the Sun starts shining. I only water them sparingly which might be why they are a bit curled up - I might experiment in the coming Summer and try watering one of them a bit more and see what happens!
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

I don't grow many Aloes, but I wonder if you should give your plant more water in the summer. It is in a clay pot, which will dry out quickly, and you say you only water it sparingly. I think I would try it in a plastic pot with more water in the summer. Good luck.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Definitely more summer water Nick.