aloe microstigma

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
fero
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

aloe microstigma

Post by fero »

First thanks to Tony and Stuart for the aloe identification in the main CS section.
I mentioned that I had a red aloe, it was this aloe microstigma that wasn't quite as red as I remembered, it was definitely much more colourful last autumn. In habitat they look amazing.
Attachments
IMG_20210228_153726098~2.jpg
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: aloe microstigma

Post by Tony R »

fero wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:48 pm .... In habitat they look amazing.
Your plant is still very nice, fero but yes, in habitat they are amazing. Here is a photo of a small A. microstigma I took in the Western Cape SA some years ago.

2011-11-12 Day 3 023 16x10.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
fero
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by fero »

:eek: that is quite something. Even looking at a photo of it is more like a fire ball than a plant. It must have been amazing to be standing right in front of it.
Now I just need to plant mine in a nice sunny spot with a dudleya britonii, and it'll send my eyes all funny.
The redening of the aloe must protect it in some way. maybe partly ( just a guess) similar to coloured photo lenses blocking out certain wavelengths of light.
It is truly amazing how these plants can survive and all the adaptations that they have. So much to learn.
Maybe one day I will get to visit, fingers crossed
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

That is some picture Tony!