Haworthia care-help please

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
sandyvaughan
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Haworthia care-help please

Post by sandyvaughan »

Three days ago, quite literally overnight, my H.emelyae started to climb out of its pot. I can see thick white healthy-looking roots going down. It’s in a 50:50 mix of gravel and soil and has been happy in this pot for the last 9 months, living on south facing windowsill. Just today I notice the leaves have developed a slight beige tint. Why is this happening, and what should I do about it?
Attachments
Hemelyae.png
Hemelyae.png (329.47 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Haworthia care-help please

Post by HaoBao »

I’m not sure about the colour, I’d probably just carefully clean away any dead leaves and let those roots carry on growing as they look healthy.

I also replied your message last July with some names you were after, it should be in your inbox 👍
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

The change in colour is probably due to stronger sun and warmer temperatures during the last few days. New roots can push a poorly rooted plant out of its pot and it's quite normal for it to have old roots that dry up. There's no harm in taking it out of its pot, clearing up any dead roots and replanting it. I'd have called it Picta rather than Emelyae though both names are OK.

Stuart
sandyvaughan
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by sandyvaughan »

HaoBao wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:44 pm I’m not sure about the colour, I’d probably just carefully clean away any dead leaves and let those roots carry on growing as they look healthy.

I also replied your message last July with some names you were after, it should be in your inbox 👍
I have a pm from you in my inbox but it is empty of text!
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by HaoBao »

I just tried resending it so hopefully it’s there now
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.