Gasteria World Record

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Gasteria World Record

Post by Stuart »

Gasteria 'Sakura Fuji' managed to sneak into the main Forum pages hiding under a Marmite cover. I thought this one ought to stay with the other Gasteria pages. If there was a World Record for the Gasteria with the largest number of attached leaves in a 6.5cm pot, this would be in with a good chance.
It originally came from Steve Hammer as 'Sakura Fuji' and just looked like a tiny Gasteria with a normal fan of leaves, as new leaves grew, they became smaller and smaller and growing points seemed to pop up all over the place. It really needs repotting out of a 6.5cm pot and I should try to take some pieces off if I could see where to cut. I think this falls into the 'Marmite or not' category even for Gasteria lovers. Incidentally, I usually take Marmite and Marmite connected items with me on trips to the US for a nurseryman who used to buy it at a high price from a 'English Shop' in the US.
gast sak 1.JPG
gast sak 2.JPG
I've not seen another Gasteria quite like this. I can't see a cristate growth line, it just seems to want to see how many leaves it can produce.

Stuart
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Gasteria World Record

Post by Tony R »

Hi Stuart,

Lovely? or not!
I have a couple of other monstrous/cristate/proliferating gasterias which grow like this but not with as many leaves-
'Royston's Fan' - an old one - and a tukhelensis ex-Cok.
When you choose to divide such plants it is easiest to de-pot it, turn it upside down and cut with a knife through the rootball and prise apart.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

That is one splendid plant Stuart. Interesting. Being an odd ball I love odd ball plants :lol:
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Just my sort of thing, love it. (tu)

If you ever get any offsets.... :grin:
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I really should cut a few pieces off, the freshest growth looks to be the brighter bit around the edge. It's the sort of plant that I should have a spare in case of winter casualties and once I start to cut I usually don't stop at one cutting. I'll show some photos once I've done something with it.

Stuart
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Definitely! (tu)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Such a great idea! :mrgreen:
Mat