Whilst my wife is on Facebook!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
briansugden
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Whilst my wife is on Facebook!

Post by briansugden »

Hi everybody. My wife spends quite a while on Facebook, keeping up on family and on her painting interests, so I thought it was about time I joined the forum.
I have always quite liked cacti and I have a plant I bought at least 30 years ago whilst working in Gloucester (now looking extremely unhealthy and only kept for old times' sake!). However, in 1998, we were returning from a trip to Derbyshire and passed Abbey Brook Cactus Nursery. My wife noticed it and suggested we have a look. We bought several plants and I haven't looked back since!
The small greenhouse that I had inherited with the house was soon full and I have obtained two larger ones, which are filling up nicely. I joined the society early on and started attending the Nottingham brach meetings. However there is a constant conflict with one of my other interests which is choral singing and I no longer attend meetings.
My main interest is in North American cacti, especially the smaller Mexican plants. At present I am battling to grow some Sclerocacti ("They're coming to take me away, ha, ha") and I have several Ariocarpi, Stenocacti, Astrophyta, Ecinocerei and Turbinicarpi (I'm not sureabout those Latin plurals) as well as a bench-ful of Mammillarias. I also like Conophytums (another wifely influence) and will grow anything else that takes my fancy.
I am hoping that the forum will help to while away the winter hours and give me added enthusiasm for the spring.
Brian Sugden
Nottingham
Interested mainly in N American cacti & Conophytum
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: Whilst my wife is on Facebook!

Post by Tony R »

A very warm welcome, Brian!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Morgans Beauty »

nice to have you here :welc:
regards michael
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

:welc: to the forum, Brian! I'm sure you'll find plenty to keep you occupied here during the winter, sounds as if you are a "hard core" collector now!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

briansugden wrote:I'm not sureabout those Latin plurals
You don't need to worry, AFAIK the plural form of a genus are the same as the singular. Welcome!
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by sue46 »

Hi Brian, welcome to the Forum. Much better being on here then on Facebook!! Much more interesting (I know I only spend about a minute on FB then come off. If I start browsing cacti for sale on a well known auction site - well that can take a long time :lol:
Andy Hood
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Andy Hood »

Hello there Brian and welcome to the forum
BCSS No 39768