New forum member

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
chris68
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

New forum member

Post by chris68 »

Hi all,

Here goes the introduction. I have been growing cacti and succulents for 20 plus years and have amassed a collection that has moved home many times, been neglected and is now doing nicely here in West Sussex for the last 5 years.
I'm sure i'm not alone with this common problem - so much choice and never enough room!!
I enjoy growing from seed particularly anything that someone says is difficult (red rag to a bull!) with some successes and failures but for me thats what makes this hobby so great.
As regards favourites these are varied but definately include Turbinicarpus, Eriosyce, Strombocactus and any of the other smaller growing genera. Also on the list are Agave and Aloes and anything else unusual I spy in a seed list.
Currently my growing space in limited to a conservatory but it is amazing what you can fit in a small space with shelves etc.
Over recent years I have been looking at compost mixes and am taking a more scientific approach to what goes on in the pot with the hope of improving the plants all spurred on by the 2 years I was at college studying horticulture some 10 years ago.

I look forward to talking to you, asking and answering questions and generally being a pain!!

Best wishes
Chris
Varied collection of mostly cacti with some Agave and Aloes - space is always the problem!!
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Re: New forum member

Post by Morgans Beauty »

you are very welcome chris!
regards michael
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Hi Chris , Welcome :grin:
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Hi Chris, :welc: to the forum! Look forward to hearing more from you and your plants (and I'm also a sucker for trying to grow the impossible from seed!)
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Very nice to meet you Chris.
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by sue46 »

Hello Chris and welcome. How about a photo of your plants - would love to see them.
chris68
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by chris68 »

Many thanks for your kind welcome - its nice to be part of 'one big happy family'.

I hope to post some photos soon, but am having a good sort out and repot at the moment and with such a small space its like moving pieces in a jigsaw!

As an aside I wonder if you like me suffer from one huge problem. You get all the latest seed lists, go through them and make your order (usually adding as you go!), and then while you wait for the parcels to arrive out come the books to double check what you have bought and surprise surprise you find loads more seeds to buy when you thought you were satisfied!! Gets me every year without fail - quite enjoy it really! :lol:

Chris
Varied collection of mostly cacti with some Agave and Aloes - space is always the problem!!
Andy Hood
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Andy Hood »

Welcome to the forum Chris
BCSS No 39768
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

Welcome Chris - You are not alone in suffering from the disease Notinufroomia and here you get a 'virtual' collection too !