Tephrocactus geometricus seed germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Tephrocactus geometricus seed germination

Post by DaveW »

I germinated 1 geometricus seed by normal means and I think I still have the same plant without looking.

Regarding attaching links, I found with PDF's that if I highlight the link by left clicking the mouse button on the address line, then click on "Page > Copy" it does not work, but does work with non PDF's. However If I highlight the address by left clicking then click the right mouse button and click copy which appears, then right click to paste where I want it, it will put PDF addresses in. Never been able to work out why one method works for both, but the other only for non PDF's?

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

I spied :) iann's conversation at some other place, basically it would go like this:

1. Soak seeds overnight in water.
2. Put them in damp paper towel next day.
3. Put all that in ziplock.
4. Keep at 35C (95F) during 'daytime' and 16C (60F) during 'night'.
5. Wait for about a week and start checking for signs of germination (roots).
6. Move germinated plants / seedlings to regular soil.
7. Three weeks later dry non germinated seeds, leave them for a about a month and try again.

I'm pretty sure there is word 'pray' after each step :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

I would like to sow these seeds soon. I have 5 chunky seeds and have read this thread because I know they are hard to germinate! 9 years later, does anyone have any good tips? It is not possible for me to keep them in a 35c room whatsoever. Is there an acid that can be used to strip the coating or something?
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I've had poor success with Tephrocactus etc - A single Austrocylindropuntia floccosa germinated out of about 6 species a couple of years ago. I'd also welcome sure-fire germination tips.

To get 35C temperatures - it's only the pot that needs those temps, so above a radiator or very close to a light, or with a heat mat could work.
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

I can't do either of those as well! Do you think its best to give the seeds to someone else that can germinate them?
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

NaZzAtAzEr wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:23 pm I can't do either of those as well! Do you think its best to give the seeds to someone else that can germinate them?
No, not really. There doesn't seem to be any guaranteed method, so why not try sowing under "normal" conditions yourself for a few weeks, then let them dry out for a few weeks and repeat if you don't get results.