What are the very best cacti and succulents?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
IainS
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: What are the very best cacti and succulents?

Post by IainS »

Tony R wrote:
IainS wrote:As a newcomer, I do find it surprising that there's a bit of an anti-succulent attitude from some cacti enthusiasts.
Welcome to the Forum, IainS.
Yes, there is a number of cacti enthusiasts who more than shun the other succulents and their growers, but sometimes it is just 'horse-play'. More growers of other succulents tolerate some cacti though.

For me, it's the best of both worlds - I'm equally happy to have a mature specimen of Gasteria rawlinsonii in my greenhouse alongside a clump of Cleistocactus strausii.
Hi Tony. Although we haven't met, you are one person I know has a tremendous knowledge and experience. Could I push for your top 10 best other-succulents and top 10 best cacti (purposely put in that order!)? And I hope that Haworthia truncata might be included, supporting the vote of others, as I think I'm correct in thinking you have a serious appreciation and collection of these "horses teeth" gems.

And if John Pilbeam by any chance reads this - whom I also haven't met - I'd very much be interested to hear your choice, too! :smile:
"Avoidance doesn't work"
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Actually Iain if you delve into the history of the Society, Other Succulents were only included in our forerunner societies almost by default. The Cactus & Succulent Society of Great Britain's Journal was originally called the Cactus Journal:-
CSJB1.jpg
CSJB1.jpg (97.36 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
In the case of the National Cactus & Succulent Society, which for it's first few issues was the Yorkshire Cactus Society Journal (which is why it is still the Yorkshire Rose on our badge not the English Rose) it was touch and go as to if Other Succulents would be included. It was only because a few of the founder members grew some in their greenhouse and wanted them included they crept in. In both cases however it was intended cacti should predominate and later both societies merged to become The British Cactus & Succulent Society.
NCSS1.jpg
NCSS1.jpg (97.53 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
Back to the theme of the thread. It is hard to pick what are the best cacti since what criteria are we judging on? Easiest to grow, rarest or most spectacular flowers etc?
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

Dave: Many thanks for the history, which I didn't have a clue about. As you already know, it was cacti that first got my attention - although many succulents have equally won my heart since.

To answer your question, I go back to my first words: "If you wanted to show people the very best cacti and succulents, to enhance their appreciation of these wonders of nature, which species or varieties would you choose?" I expanded with further points, such as they should be able to be grown by most of us in pots or in the garden (at least seasonally). And, yes, I think a beautiful flowering display is a major factor - alongside an attractive plant when not flowering, which is most of the time.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

A year has now passed. Lots of learning and some great input from Becky, Vicky, and Cassie.

Here are the 10/10 cacti/succulents that I think deserve the title of "very best":

Cephalocereus senilis
Echinocactus grusonii
Ferocactus chrysacanthus (in our South African garden, it would have to be our large F. stainesii)
Mammillaria geminispina
Mammillaria "another" - because one species isn't enough for this classic genus, but almost impossible to choose
Notocactus magnificus
Pachycereus pringlei
Sulcorebutia rauschii - as a worthy representative of Sulcorebutias and Rebutias
Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus
Ubelmannia pectinifera

Agave parryi - as a worthy representative of this amazing genus (but hard not to pick A. victoriae-reginae)
Conophytum minimum or C. obcordellum
Delosperma sphalmanthoides - representing Komsberg's wonderful succulents (or think "other Mesembs")
Dioscorea elephantipes
Dorstenia gigas
Echeveria secunda glauca - a worthy garden plant, selected over E. cante and E. subrigida
Euphorbia aeruginosa - we have Rene's fine specimen.....a great ambassador for this genus
Haworthia truncata
Lithops dorotheae or L. lesliei var. venteri - but many others would do just as well
Pachypodium namaquanum - as a worthy representative of this genus

The restriction to 10/10 is artificial and several other plants deserve equal billing.

Interestingly, most of the above were collectively suggested by forum members - arguably demonstrating that some plants (like songs, books, and films) do stand out as being the "very best".
Last edited by IainS on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

Looking back, I would especially praise Gerald and Astro for their contributions, which were excellent.

Astro: We have two lovely plants of Aloe erinacea (miniature form) - one in South Africa and another here in the UK - and this species is typical of those "extras" that "deserve equal billing". A superb suggestion on your part - that I had forgotten, but acquired the plant(s) nonetheless.

TonyR: I must add, in the absence of an Opuntia on the list, that your photo of O. robusta is well and truly lodged in my brain. But a lot of space is required to do it justice, so..... Likewise, as they require even more space, Aloe dichotoma, Aloe ramosissima, and Aloe pillansii were left out.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
TheEconomist
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by TheEconomist »

My nomination would be Echinocactus (although I have recently been informed that it's been shifted under a different genus :?: ) grusonii

Nice looking plant, good spination, easy to grow, readily available :)
Attachments
IMAG0313-800x452.jpg
David
Rogan
BCSS Member

Post by Rogan »

What about Faucaria species/varieties/cultivars? Not a single mention of Faucaria in all of this?! :roll: Easy to grow, and quick from seed; look good the year round; magnificent flowers; great variability; "spines"; etc. "Novice" visitors to my collection almost, invariably head for the Faucarias, thinking they are Venus' Fly Traps!

I have been growing succulents (...and here I include cacti) for many years now and I never fail to be impressed by the Faucarias - as close to the "ideal" succulent you can get - in my opinion. (tu) :grin:
Swellendam, Western Cape, South Africa
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

Hi Rogan: The problem with limiting the list to 10/10 is that it's limiting.

Frithia humilis and F. pulchra and Fenestraria aurantiaca are others that almost made the grade - deservedly very popular.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
JoZoo
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by JoZoo »

So I looked at this and tried to make a list that grew and grew and then on reflection some got crossed off as they got pushed down the list. I was glad to see that some of your top plants were also in my list

You can't have a cactus collection without a Cephalocereus senilis or a Echinocactus grusonii I think they are essential. I also love Uebelmania pectinifera (but preferably in purple) and Euphorbia milli is great as it flowers all year round I now have it in 4 colours at work :) and a stapiliad of some description as every time it flowers you have to smell it just in case you imagined the foul smell first time round.

My list was big and contained all sorts of interesting things which is why I have a cactus problem and more young cactus than I have room for and thanks to some really nice people I have met in the cactus world so far I have some amazing older plants too which would have taken me years to grow.
Maintain National collections of Copiapoa, Matucana and Turbinicarpus for Chester Zoo
Personal favorites Ferocactus, Astrophytums or anything with a purple or pink colour.
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

JoZoo wrote:You can't have a cactus collection without a Cephalocereus senilis or a Echinocactus grusonii
I certainly can. I grow mine for the flowers, and neither of the aforementioned species have much to offer in that regard.