Help with identification please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Help with identification please

Post by Cactusgirl »

Hi I'm new to the forum and to cactus keeping. Please can anyone identify the plants I bought whilst on holiday last week in Spain? Sadly they didn't come with any name tags but they were far too appealing for me to not buy them! Thanks
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Re: Help with identification please

Post by Cactusgirl »

My photos don't seem to have appeared!
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Cactusgirl wrote:My photos don't seem to have appeared!
If you are trying to upload pictures straight from a camera it can fail without any error message if there are too many pixels in the picture, try reducing the size to no more than HD resolution (1920x1080 pixels)
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Follow the photo posting instructions here;

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=156306
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

ChrisR wrote:Follow the photo posting instructions here;

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=156306
That is a bit out of date - files can now be larger than the old 250kb limit but there is still a problem if the file contains lots of pixels. In the previous incarnation of the forum you did get an error message if the forum software could not process the mega pixel file but now there is no message just an image that will not display.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

It's a constant problem for members Jim as you know. So many people struggle with posting photos. If the instructions need updating then.....

I do think it should also be listed in FAQ's as it is one of the more frequently asked questions!
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Picture I posted yesterday in monthly photo comp is 1.62MB so size limit definitely higher but we did have someone trying to post file with too many pixels recently which was only 498kb but the 3264x2448 pixels caused the problem
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I agree with Chris R that we should give better guidance. This issue comes up regularly on the forum. I was caught out recently when uploading photos that were well within the size limit but there was no indication why they wouldn't load. As Jim suggests, it was probably due to the number of pixels rather than the size. We do need a better definitive guide.
Last edited by rodsmith on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

rodsmith wrote:I agree with Chris R that we should give better guidance. This issue comes up regularly on the forum. I was caught out recently when uploading photos that were well within the size limit but there was no indication why they wouldn't load. As Jim suggests, it was probably due to the number of pixels rather than the size. We do need better a definitive guide.
I am going to try and establish what the limits are, first test shows error message with medium size file but none with large ones (just on pixel count) - more to follow later...

http://www.forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic. ... 9&t=165480
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Yes it's time boards had some uniform standard so you don't have to have different file and pixel sizes for each one on the Web. As Cactus Mall hosts many cactus boards perhaps they could come up with a standard?

The previous limits were designed when everybody had the old small Cathode Ray type monitors and were on dial-up. Now most have larger LCD ones and are on broadband. The uploaders will usually reduce larger pictures to size, but there is a limit of how large a file they will accept.

On another board somebody suggested he was able to upload images 1200 x 800 pixels OK and the uploader would automatically downsize them, but I have not tried. Pity the uploaders will not accept common digital projector sizes, since 1280 x 800 pixels is the aspect ratio of my digital projector and it would save me having to resize many twice for the forum and for projection.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.