Recommendation wanted for an Inkbird or Biogreen thermostat

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Recommendation wanted for an Inkbird or Biogreen thermostat

Post by Aiko »

The only plants you need to be a bit careful would be the Aeonium and maybe the Huernia. But even just above 0C would be fine. But probably keep the two Pilosocereus warm. 10C would be fine for these two.

All others can easily take 0C on the long run, and many the occasional -3C. Some in your list, like Lithops and Stenocactus should take strong frost even, as most Opuntias.

All my plants are stil in the greenhouse without protection. Will do so starting this weekend. But we have had a few nights of -2C already. And as each year, they all do well but the one individual plant. Probably a weak one anyway. In spring they also have to endure a few nights of slight frost. Nothing to worry about as long as it not much colder than -3C from my experience.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

I'd take that list as very rough guidance only - expect some species to be more hardy and perhaps some to be less hardy than listed, or to survive but with markings or damage.

A few inconsistencies spring out:
Some Echinopsis are listed at -10, others at +10. I'd be dubious about the need for that high for any of the genus.
Gymno. saglionis is generally regarded as quite cold resistant - not as much as G. bruchii, but still good for a few degrees frost
I can't believe that Haworthia fasciata is so much less frost hardy than H. retusa.
Lophophora williamsii and most Mammillarias should be able to go lower than listed.
Opuntia polyacantha - according to llifle.com: "Not frost tender. Plants are very cold-hardy, tolerating temperatures of -12° to -45° C (depending on clone)"
Schlumbergera, Stenocactus, Turbinicarpus and Tunilla can all go colder than lsted. Although I think I've just killed a couple of Schlumbergeras by leaving them on the patio overnight at <-2.5deg C
NickHitchcock
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by NickHitchcock »

Thanks for starting this post. I used the info for myself, was looking at the same time as you. Have bought the inkbird with doble heating plug.
Northampton and MK member
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

The Inkbird ITC-308 is currently £29.99 at Amazon. However, there is a Lightning Deal tomorrow (Tuesday) for Prime members and whilst I am not aware of what the price will be, it sure looks like a good time to buy one.
At a guess, I reckon the special discount will be in the order of £3-£5.00.

Check the spec on the Amazon website.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:25 pm Thanks for all advices. I made a decision yesterday. The ITC-308 should already be on my way. Hopefully well in time before the night frosts will be more structural.
It is still underway and frost is coming later this week. Latest notice "2018-11-22 21:54:48 left Guangzhou going to 全球交通hub (in transit )". What's the use of a tracking code if it can't be any more precise (let alone useful) than this...
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Peter wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:06 pm The Inkbird ITC-308 is currently £29.99 at Amazon. However, there is a Lightning Deal tomorrow (Tuesday) for Prime members and whilst I am not aware of what the price will be, it sure looks like a good time to buy one.
At a guess, I reckon the special discount will be in the order of £3-£5.00.

Check the spec on the Amazon website.
Thanks
I've just bought one from Amazon!!!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

The ITC 308 was £26.99 on ebay last week when I bought one.

Seems a very good piece of kit, and easy to set up
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

RAYWOODBRIDGE wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:51 pm The ITC 308 was £26.99 on ebay last week when I bought one.

Seems a very good piece of kit, and easy to set up
Agreed. I have tried mine out ... just sorting out the odd items ... including a slight water ingress then move the collection in. The instructions however are "interesting".
As for e-Bay ... bad experience has put me off any use of it.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
NickHitchcock
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by NickHitchcock »

I bought Inkbird ITC306T UK Digital Temperature Controller Heating Time controller 2200w on ebay from a seller called mixtea was £27 free postage and arrived in a couple of days, it is brand new. Seems to be working ok.
Northampton and MK member
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

£22.94 today only on Amazon Prime. Free delivery next day.