Best time of year to pot on haworthias

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathNightingale
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Best time of year to pot on haworthias

Post by KathNightingale »

My husband Ian grows haworthias. He'd like to know when is the best time of year to pot them on, seeing as they grow mainly in winter.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Best time of year to pot on haworthias

Post by Herts Mike »

I wouldn't have a problem with doing them now.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

I treat all of mine as summer growers and keep them fully dormant in winter. I would just repot in spring. But now is fine too, probably. Repotting is not really time-of-the-year-depending. Most of us have more time to do so now than in spring or summer.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I'd agree with Aiko, there are a few growers that give them a slight winter watering but I'm happy not watering during the winter. Repotting can be any time of year for almost any plants in the cactus & succulent hobby but it's easier when the compost is dry which is during the winter months.
Stuart
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

What disagreement! The great majority come from the area of South Africa that receives winter rains and consequently most of their growth is in spring and autumn which is when watering should be at its maximum. We need to cut back in the middle of the winter because of the cold and damp in our greenhouses and also cut back or stop in mid-summer. Overwatering in summer is the main cause of root rot. As with all plants, repotting is best done early in the growing season so we have two opportunities with hawaorthias and I recommend either late-August/September or late February/March. So get going now but make sure that the compost is VERY-freely draining.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Terry S. wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:06 am What disagreement! The great majority come from the area of South Africa that receives winter rains and consequently most of their growth is in spring and autumn which is when watering should be at its maximum. We need to cut back in the middle of the winter because of the cold and damp in our greenhouses and also cut back or stop in mid-summer. Overwatering in summer is the main cause of root rot. As with all plants, repotting is best done early in the growing season so we have two opportunities with hawaorthias and I recommend either late-August/September or late February/March. So get going now but make sure that the compost is VERY-freely draining.
Thanks for this info .... tomorrow's task!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
KathNightingale
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by KathNightingale »

Ian says to thank everyone for their advice. He will get busy potting as soon as possible. As soon as he's finished the list of things I want him to do, that is! :wink: