Mammillaria luethyi

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mark07
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Mammillaria luethyi

Post by Mark07 »

One of my favourite plants. Grown on own roots. Picked up from Cactusloft last year. I've been waiting patiently for the buds to open :razz: :grin:
IMG_7322.JPG
IMG_7328.JPG
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Re: Mammillaria luethyi

Post by Cactusgirl »

What a stunning plant! I take it they are very hard to grow?
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Cactusgirl wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:22 am What a stunning plant! I take it they are very hard to grow?
Thanks! I don't find it any harder than my other mammillaria’s and seems to be growing well on its own roots. I do have another grafted one that I got recently so it will be interesting to see how they both progress.
Last edited by Mark07 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

They are hard, I've had a few and they only last a few years. Lovely plants but I won't be growing them any more :sad:
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Super! Mine are well behind yours at the moment Mark, I have several grafts and one on own roots.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Now fully open :)
IMG_7333.JPG
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

gerald wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:45 am They are hard, I've had a few and they only last a few years. Lovely plants but I won't be growing them any more :sad:
Sorry to hear you've not had good experience with them Gerald. I suppose its early days with me yet. Fingers crossed :)
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Diane wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:46 am Super! Mine are well behind yours at the moment Mark, I have several grafts and one on own roots.
Thanks Diane, I remember seeing yours in full bloom last year and they looked super! How long have you had them?
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

I acquired my first grafted plants over 20 years ago, (I think!), when they were still as rare as hens teeth. I had two different clones and was able to set seeds, and the first sowing was successful. But unfortunately they didn't survive, and subsequent showings have been pretty unsuccessful. I have grafted a few from the original plants, some are doing better than others, but they don't seem to be very long lived on grafts (may need winter watering to prevent them drying up).
Good luck with yours, I think they are the prettiest plants!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Diane wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:38 pm I acquired my first grafted plants over 20 years ago, (I think!), when they were still as rare as hens teeth. I had two different clones and was able to set seeds, and the first sowing was successful. But unfortunately they didn't survive, and subsequent showings have been pretty unsuccessful. I have grafted a few from the original plants, some are doing better than others, but they don't seem to be very long lived on grafts (may need winter watering to prevent them drying up).
Good luck with yours, I think they are the prettiest plants!
They do sound tricky and I must admit I was keeping a good eye on mine in the greenhouse over its first winter but for instance i'm struggling to keep Mammillaria Schumannii alive over the winter in the same environment. I've had two now which have both turned to mush over the winter. So far so good with M.lueythi. I even found some old seed (about 10 of them) and managed to extract them carefully from around the base of the plant. I'm currently experimenting with them trying to get them to germinate. Those and M.Theresea. Both unsuccessfully at the minute but i'll persevere :smile: