OH, NO!!!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Diane
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

OH, NO!!!

Post by Diane »

During my morning inspection today, I spotted that my (very rare) variegated Agave parviflora has decided to flower! Is this going to be a disaster? Will it eventually offset? (Which would be good) or is it curtains? It's in a 4.25" pot, and the spike is currently 3".
Agave parviflora variegated
I do have another smaller one, thankfully.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: OH, NO!!!

Post by Herts Mike »

What a lovely plant.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Diane,
Condolences :roll: , it was a lovely plant & still small to flower.
My A parviflora did offset when it flowered I wonder if you could over feed it to try to encourage it, its not going to hurt
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

I'll have to give it a try, Tina - can't hurt. Apparently A. parviflora is known to flower at quite a young age, but no idea whether anyone has flowered the variegate before. I shall post on another forum later, and see what their members have to say.

edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Congratulations/commiserations in equal measure! It is absolutely stunning and will look amazing in flower. I hope it offsets for you.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I have parviflora ssp flexiflora for about 30 years and it has just flowered for the 4th time.
Obviously I restart it after each flowering.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Lovely plant Diane, so very disappointing that it's going to flower.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I double checked & mine that flowered was parviflora, had lots of pups & the parent stayed alive for over 2 years which was good for the offsets re development so it may not be too painful if you get pups- fingers crossed
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Well, fingers crossed, Tina! I do wonder how they are propagated - this was acquired as a very small plant (from Thailand), some years ago (can't remember exactly how long), so if they pup after flowering, that might explain how it became available.

Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Diane wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:46 pm During my morning inspection today, I spotted that my (very rare) variegated Agave parviflora has decided to flower! Is this going to be a disaster? Will it eventually offset? (Which would be good) or is it curtains? It's in a 4.25" pot, and the spike is currently 3".

I do have another smaller one, thankfully.

image.jpg
Well Diane the plant is just doing what comes naturally I'm sorry to say. Agave parviflora is one of only a few agaves that flower when really small hence the benefit of growing it for those who don't have a lot of space.

Tina's experience is certainly that for the non-variegated plant it will offset after flowering. This is another unusual feature since in my experience agaves just don't normally pup after flowering.

For some of my agaves I've had to wait 30 years or more to see them in flower. How old roughly do you think your plant is? Or at least how long have you had it?

Please keep posting pics as the spike develops.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University