Mammillaria luethyi

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
fatich
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Mammillaria luethyi

Post by fatich »

This year only one flower.
Attachments
IMG20200521183914.jpg
Mark07
BCSS Member
Branch: LITTLEHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mark07 »

juster wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 pm Mark that's really beautiful, well done! I look at mine quite often, not a sign of a bud :cry:
Thanks Juster, I really don’t treat it any different than my other Mammillaria or any of my plants for that matter. Must just be lucky! :)
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

fatich wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:49 am This year only one flower.
But some nice new heads forming by the looks of it :wink:
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

My favourite plant in bloom today, along with its grafted friend so I have had the paintbrush out to see if I’m able to get them to set seed. Most likely both are clones from the same plant but fingers crossed. :)
2BD02DD4-60ED-4E72-B20E-6E1A1E035152.jpeg
B5AE00ED-9DA5-4BC3-8400-A4024255C1A1.jpeg
6A14AB77-1FB9-4715-B4FF-A3BF9231C8CD.jpeg
3CA524F5-154E-4DA4-87BC-17BB7FF5457B.jpeg
Last edited by Mark07 on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Glorious! Mine are still small buds.

If you do manage to set seed, remember that the seed pods are set deeply into the plant body, so are not at all obvious. They take about a year to ripen, then you have to poke about with tweezers or similar to find them. Extricating the seed is rather difficult, and they often fall into the pot!

I’m currently inspecting my plants for seed, and have found a few. Germinating them is another matter, and can be very hit and miss.

Good luck!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Thanks Diane :).

I did find some seed when I first got the plant but as you say I had zero success getting them to germinate. I did some more careful rooting around in these and my two M.theresae who also have concealed seed pods and managed to extract a few from both theresae’s. I’m getting good germination with theresae seed but I’ve never been lucky with luethyi. Definitely a tricky one to germinate and most probably prefers to be aged seed.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: MEDWAY TOWNS

Post by Tina »

Beautiful, lovely looking plants.
I put a tissue cuff around/underneath the plant so I can collect the dropped seed, get seeed but no germination but its good to have a challenge.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

That's just beautiful Mark, well done! Sadly my grafted plant has died, I think it got too hot and dry in the early Spring sunshine, although I did give it some water. :sad:
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Tina wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:14 pm Beautiful, lovely looking plants.
I put a tissue cuff around/underneath the plant so I can collect the dropped seed, get seeed but no germination but its good to have a challenge.
Thanks Tina, I also tried similar with the tissue idea and it did work for the ones that fell out. The ones that shot out onto the greenhouse gravel floor had no chance though :shock: :grin:
juster wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:16 pm That's just beautiful Mark, well done! Sadly my grafted plant has died, I think it got too hot and dry in the early Spring sunshine, although I did give it some water. :sad:
Sorry to hear that Juster, I’ve read they can suddenly go downhill, especially the grafted ones.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Tina wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:14 pm Beautiful, lovely looking plants.

Now why didn’t I think of that? How stupid am I!

The first time I managed to collect seed (many years ago), I got almost 100% germination, but they slowly died over winter. I’ve never been able to replicate that success since. I don’t really know what the secret of success is with these plants, but you can only try.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!