Hardy container plant ideas

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hardy container plant ideas

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

I want to have a container to put some hardy cacti and succulents in all year round. I have the correct substance - 40% grit, 40% cat litter and 20% sandy topsoil. I just need ideas for what plants to put in it. I do know that quite a few sedums can thrive outside, as well as opuntias, but I would like some variety.

Alternatively, are there any shops that sell categorised hardy plants?
daydreamer
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Hardy container plant ideas

Post by daydreamer »

Not an area I dabble in, but Paul Spracklin's articles would seem to be a very good starting point if I were to be tempted in the future ...

https://www.cactusandsucculentreview.or ... lents.html
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON

Post by iann »

North Surrey? Not in the hills, are you, could be quite chilly.

Delospermas, obviously. Most species are not great pot plants, sprawling and not desperately showy, but there are a few nice ones. There are also some very showy cultivars now available that should survive in just about any garden position. Also a smaller mound-forming one often sold as Drosanthemum hispidum even though it is a Delosperma. The real D. hispidum is also hardy and resistant to rain, but "interesting" rather than attractive. Near the coat you would have a lot more choice of shrubby mesembs, including most Lampranthus and Oscularia.

Consider some of the Echinocereus, possibly Escobaria, that can handle the cold and just need excellent drainage or some protection from the rain. With more protection you can look at things like Pediocactus or some of the alpine dwarf Opuntioids.
Cheshire, UK
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON

Post by Brian »

Sempervivum.

Agaves.

Sedum.

I have them all in pots or in beds around the garden.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON

Post by Paul in Essex »

daydreamer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:56 pm Not an area I dabble in, but Paul Spracklin's articles would seem to be a very good starting point if I were to be tempted in the future ...

https://www.cactusandsucculentreview.or ... lents.html
Thank you!

I think we need more information before making recommendations as the choice is bewildering.

How big is the container?
What is the aspect of it - full sun/part shade?
Any overhead cover in winter intended?
What plants do you like?
Lots of little ones or one big one?
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Paul in Essex wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:25 pm
Thank you!

I think we need more information before making recommendations as the choice is bewildering.

How big is the container?
What is the aspect of it - full sun/part shade?
Any overhead cover in winter intended?
What plants do you like?
Lots of little ones or one big one?
Thanks, guys, sorry I'm new to the forum and can't find where the notifications are :lol:

Container is 60x40cm
I can put it in full sun.
I can cover them.
I like sedums and plants that make a mat. Unfortunately, I don't like most sempervivums, but I do like ones that are small and clump.

I do know that cacti and succulents need different watering, but I would love to have cacti outside! Not opuntias with little hairs tho cos they cause a lot of pain and I have pets! I want to keep agave queen victoria in a pot outside all year round but need to do some more research.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I note that you are assigned to North Surrey Branch, but I wonder if you have managed to get to any of our meetings? They are obviously in abeyance now until next year, but the experienced growers there and at any other Branch are a great source of advice.
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Terry S. wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:48 am I note that you are assigned to North Surrey Branch, but I wonder if you have managed to get to any of our meetings? They are obviously in abeyance now until next year, but the experienced growers there and at any other Branch are a great source of advice.
I became a member last Monday! I may be considering going to either North Surrey branch or the Brighton branch (go to uni there!)