Neoraimondea herzogiana from cuttings?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Licespray
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Neoraimondea herzogiana from cuttings?

Post by Licespray »

So a fellow I know has a large one of these plants and it’s producing an offset thaw currently maybe 1 3/4” in diameter. He’s tried rooting cuttings in the past from this plant and has had no luck.

Debating on trying with this new growth in spring. Is it doable? Suggestions on how? Or is this like the Saguaro where the arms don’t root?

Cheers,
Troy.
Licespray
Registered Guest

Re: Neoraimondea herzogiana from cuttings?

Post by Licespray »

Anyone any experience?

Also, is it possible to root Saguaro cuttings? :?:
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Hi Troy,
You are unlikely to get advice from UK growers on this subject. Few of us have the greenhouse space to grow large cerei and even fewer have had any large cuttings with which to experiment. It is going to be enthusiasts in the western USA who have this sort of knowledge.
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

I’ve no experience of that species, but when i lived in Cornwall (one of the sunny bits of the UK) large diameter sections of Trichocerei were pretty easy to root, as long as they were dry. Now i have moved up to the frozen North, with the concomitant decrease in light intensity, life is not so straightforward however.
Licespray
Registered Guest

Post by Licespray »

Nick wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:26 am I’ve no experience of that species, but when i lived in Cornwall (one of the sunny bits of the UK) large diameter sections of Trichocerei were pretty easy to root, as long as they were dry. Now i have moved up to the frozen North, with the concomitant decrease in light intensity, life is not so straightforward however.
Accidentally clicked the tick.

Anyways - would it be a good idea to try rooting hormone? As if so should I apply before or after it’s dry?
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I've toggled the 'solved' back to 'off'.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia