Autumn on the way?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MaciejW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HERNE BAY

Autumn on the way?

Post by MaciejW »

I wonder if my plants are trying to tell me something as my dioscorea elephantipes and tylecodon singularis started growing again. Dioscorea is an opportunistic grower, although it wasn't watered, but as for tylecodon, it is rather early in my experience. How are your plants doing?
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Autumn on the way?

Post by el48tel »

The weather today is most certainly autumnal
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

My pachypodium namaquanum are wide awake & growing I thought they were normally later but it could be my memory.
Dioscorea still asleep but mine are in the garden although they seem to still be growing as you can see the new growth, still getting watered & rained on.
Babies 3 still awake & vined, one vineless.
Last edited by Tina on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Macie, strange, I have only stopped watering my, T striatus about four weeks ago, also my Dioscorea ele. has only just gone to sleep. It's a strange growing season this year I think. Cheers
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

No signs of anything happening on my Dioscorea Elephantipes or Tylecodon Singularis, I think they're both still alive!
Stuart
MaciejW
BCSS Member

Post by MaciejW »

It goes further: dioscorea hemicrypta, drimia uniflora and even albuca hallii. The last two are definitely my winter growers. So much so, that I have given a splash of water to few conos I have, which they reacted very well to. I hope that it will not backfire later on.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

For Drimia uniflora it is normal to flower at this time of the year. Or do you see grass like leaves appearing already?
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

My Dioscorea elephantipes looks like it is just starting to die back after a long period of growth. It doesn't care about seasons - just does what it wants to whenever it feels like it!
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
MaciejW
BCSS Member

Post by MaciejW »

Aiko wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:16 pm For Drimia uniflora it is normal to flower at this time of the year. Or do you see grass like leaves appearing already?
It is the leaves Aiko.