CactusWorld (not quite) Live 2020 Show

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: CactusWorld (not quite) Live 2020 Show

Post by Ernie »

Although none of my plants were selected I enjoyed entering them. The fact the plants will appear on facebook for the public to view is a good thing and can only help attract more members to the hobby.
I have never been a big fan of shows because I know that many people show plants they bought last week, last month or last year and I never saw the point at all. It would be easier to go out and buy a trophy to stick on the mantlepiece. The hobby should be about the study of the plants, learning about them, enjoying the many forms and seeing them grow under ones care.
That's just my opinion.
As a showcase of our hobby for the man on the clapham omnibus I think its was a very good and ought to be repeated. Well done to those who organised it. Your efforts are appreciated.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

I am really surprised by the negativity expressed by some, (apparently unsuccessful) exhibitors among others, in this thread. I am also surprised by comments about this show being a "photo competition" - it was rather clear from the begining this was meant to be a "photo competition", as it was. It seems rather odd to expect anything else from such format and it is nice to know the winners were not always the otherwise obvious choices.

Speaking from a spectator perspective, some of the comments fit right into the recent thread about "problems in the society" and general lack of new members - an enormous amount of work was needed to organise this show and share all the photos publicly, which was a perfect move to, hopefully, raise some interest among the general audience. We are all living in digital times whether we like it or not, and this and similar competitions will most probably be needed to let most of the people enjoy it and potentially share some of their plants.

Going forward, similar "photo side shows" might maybe form a part of the regular competitions to let people share some of their plants without all the logistics needed to show up in person? Maybe even with a slide show somewhere on the side?
Mat
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Al Laius wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:51 pm I do despair at some of these seemingly negative comments. The aims of this ‘competition’ were threefold.
1) to have a bit of fun.
2) to have folks spend time with their plants and communicate and share some of their best plants with others during a time of lack of social contact (lockdown/no branch meetings).
3) to show some stunning plants on various social media platforms to non members who might be so impressed by the ‘wow-factor’ that they would join the Society immediately. In other words...publicity!

Al
Thank you Al and others who made similar comments. Virtual shows cant replace the real thing nor can they carry the same kudos, they are not intended to, they are just another angle, an opportunity for those who for whatever reason cant get to shows including our international members or wont show at normal events, or have plants they cant transport, its an opportunity to show case our plants and hobby to a wider audience.

I have asked the shows committee for their support in organising another one in terms of schedule and judging and with more time we will look at other options for 'staging' the show.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

What was the result of the peoples vote ??
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
arioman
Registered Guest
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by arioman »

Tina, I was lucky enough to win that with the photo of the three cacti
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Well done, are you going to post it here then :razz:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.