Seeds under light's

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH DEVON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Seeds under light's

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Hello everyone,

Every time I try to grow cactus seeds on a windowsill or near the garden, they always get infested with mealybug and other pests, so I am wandering if I can do it under artificial full spectrum grow lights.
Will this work and has anyone tried it?
Thanks,
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
anders
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Seeds under light's

Post by anders »

Sure, that is what I always do when I sow, and I have seen many pictures of such setups on this forum. Works well for small seedlings, older plants is a different story.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

But will they stop the mealy bug problem?
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Henry I grew my seedlings like this this year but in a windowsill. If you're getting mealy bug issues it might be best to work out where they're coming from as, unless there are infested plants nearby, I'm not sure how they can be getting to your seedlings on a windowsill.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

edds wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:38 pm unless there are infested plants nearby, I'm not sure how they can be getting to your seedlings on a windowsill.
Could be present in the growing medium before sowing, if not sufficiently sterilised.
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member

The reason I am growing under lights Is that I'd like to grow my seeds in places that no other plants have come in contact with. (Such as a windowsill) and only use fully cleaned equipment. I always sterilize my soil in the microwave before I grow anything in it.
Thanks,
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

microwave the soil in the pots you are going to sow into, make sure its moist & bag up straight away so no bugs or spores can get in.
Mealy like to hide under the pot rims
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member

Thank you,
I always spay down my pots with 70% rubbing alcohol and thoroughly rinse with water. The alcohol completely evaporates/ is completely rinsed off with the water. I really dont know where the bugs are coming from though.
Henry,

el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

If I may have my 2 pence worth.
I tried lights plus heated tray plus thermostat to start some home gathered seeds this time last year. Amazing .... and satisfying.
Then we had the hot spell for a few days mid summer ..... and half the seedlings turned to green mush.
I was wondering what I was going to do for space this coming year with the bountiful crop and a distinct lack of plant pots. After the clean up of yesterday, both of those concerns evaporated into nothingness.
I think I know what my error was. The propagation unit should not be in sunlight. I will be trying again .... but after the rearrangement of the GH to put the propagation unit under the bench unit.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
mcdieimp
Registered Guest

Post by mcdieimp »

I created a simple light box for germinating and wintering seedlings.

Basically a 64litre plastic storage box from Amazon for £16, some white sticky vinyl for £1.75 to cover the insides and lid and then a set of grow lights for £28. If you want to improve airflow a small USB fan for £10 but this isn't essential.
IMG_20201030_083216.jpg
They're getting better light than they got on a windowsill this summer.