Which seeds did you order this year?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Which seeds did you order this year?

Post by Herts Mike »

Aloes penduliflora and chortolirioides from Seeds for Africa.
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

I have hopefully ordered these from ADBLPS, ticking off a few wish list plants, now I am just waiting for the MSG and BCSS seed list to be released

ACANTHOCALYCIUM Groupe A. thionanthum
ASTROPHYTUM asterias
MAMMILLARIA luethyi
DRIMIA platyphylla
DRIMIOPSIS dolomiticus
ELIOKARMOS constrictus
COPIAPOA atacamensis
COPIAPOA calderana fa. magnifica
COPIAPOA hypogaea fa. peau de lezard
CORYPHANTHA pycnacantha fa. connivens
ECHINOCACTUS texensis
GLANDULICACTUS mathssonii
MAMMILLARIA sanchezmejorada
MAMMILLARIA hernandezii
TURBINICARPUS pseudopectinatus
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

iann wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:38 pm Is it that time again already?
I'm pretending its not :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

I have a large backlog of lithops seed that need to be sown, so I'm not ordering a lot of new seeds.

I did get a few species from ADBLPS.
Mammillaria luethyi and sanchez-mejoradae. May be a long shot to get them to germinate, but should be an interesting experiment.
Drimiopsis dolomiticus. Not really a succulent, but I've been looking for this one for a long time. Stunning leaves.
Weingartia kargliana with pink flowers for the novelty value
Albuca unifoliata
Aloe castilloniae

I was planning on getting a few species from Succseed as well, but their web site was very uncooperative and kept eating my order.
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Astro wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:18 am I have a large backlog of lithops seed that need to be sown, so I'm not ordering a lot of new seeds.

I did get a few species from ADBLPS.
Mammillaria luethyi and sanchez-mejoradae. May be a long shot to get them to germinate, but should be an interesting experiment.
Drimiopsis dolomiticus. Not really a succulent, but I've been looking for this one for a long time. Stunning leaves.
Weingartia kargliana with pink flowers for the novelty value
Albuca unifoliata
Aloe castilloniae

I was planning on getting a few species from Succseed as well, but their web site was very uncooperative and kept eating my order.
Damn, you got to the list before me! I asked for the drimiopsis and sanchez but they were gone :(
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

so how /where do you get rid of all the spares.

Handy as raffle plants for club night but I find I neglect the spares I don't want to keep but I also struggle to throw plants away.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Could be posted for postage costs maybe? I am pretty sure your neglected spare would be a jewel of my collection!
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Ordered my first of this year,
Screenshot_20201116-213921.png
The Aloe and first five of the Echeveria are for a mate so won't be quite as pressed for space as it looks!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Tina wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:47 pm but I also struggle to throw plants away.
If they are suited for just anyone, why don't you put a table on the driveway with a sign saying they cost just 1 GBP per pot. I am sure most plants will be gone really fast! Well, more a job for spring and summer, not right now...
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I've ordered three batches.
From Elisabeth & Norbert Sarnes came some austrocacti - of course - inc. aonikenkensis (which i've previously germinated but then killed) and nobilis plus some 'sp.' that I liked the look of (illustrated seed catalogues are perfect for picking plants from the unknown).
From Succseed, I've had a general mix of Trichoceereae, as I do most years. Two mentions: Rebutia (Aylostera) pulvinosa ssp pulvinosa, which I've not grown before and which is only ever seen in cultivation from Ritter's FR766 but offered here under one of Mats's collections. Also as an MN is Echinopsis subdenudata from maybe 30km N of the type locality... will the plants look like those in the garden centres or like the photo in Cárdenas's first description?
From ADBLPS I've ordered a wider mix of things, such as Blossfeldia (will I ever get them beyond pin-head size?) and a few Frailea (I've only ever bought a single packet of Frailea before). I'm having yet another go at the two Dyckia. Echinopsis hahniana seed isn't very often seen, partly because nobody grows it and partly because those who do only have a single clone (the ISI 1594 plant) so I'm having a go with one of the offerings of that (I bought the other offering last year but it didn't germinate). There were a few plants listed as Echinopsis calochlora ssp glaetzleana though I think most were the nominate subspecies mislabelled; I'm hoping that the one I picked is the correct plant.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia