Mesemb Study Group News

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Roatavator
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Mesemb Study Group News

Post by Roatavator »

MESEMB STUDY GROUP NEWS

A few items which may be of interest to members:-

SUBSCRIPTIONS
MSG subscriptions are now due. This can be done online at
www.mesemb.org
Please don’t forget to renew to continue receiving the benefits of membership. If you’re not a member, why not consider joining? You’re missing something good!

BULLETIN 36
Regrettably, this last Bulletin of 2020 has been delayed. This is due to postal delays, we are awaiting the colour plates back from the printers. However we hope to get the Bulletin sent out in the near future.
STOP PRESS! I’VE JUST BEEN TOLD THE BULLETIN WAS POSTED YESTERDAY 29 DECEMBER

2021 SEED LIST
The 2021 list will be published in the first Bulletin of 2021, probably late winter. The list this year is large, just under 200 different Mesembs including around 80 each of Conophytum and Lithops - something to tempt everyone! Members who would like an email copy of the list can request it at:-
MSGSeedOrders@outlook.com
I will release the emailed list to coincide with the Bulletin arriving on doormats. Members can either order from the list online or by post.

PLANT EXCHANGE SCHEME
For many years John Watmough has run this scheme. It was originally planned as a simple exchange scheme between UK members, but is evolving into something more. John has a number of Mesemb species available, which you can view in the last published Bulletin. The plants are free, apart from postage cost.
In future it seems as though buying and selling plants is going to become more complex and expensive, especially for imports/exports. So we see this scheme as being an ideal way of making the most of what material we already have in the UK.
I’m raising a number of cuttings this year which will be rooted and included in the scheme late summer 2021. Several (including some of our very prominent) members have volunteered to donate all their spare material to the scheme.
So, if you have any spare plants from previous seed sowings, or if you are splitting up your old plants, please don’t throw any away, consider donating them. Both John and myself are happy to receive and keep material for the scheme if you haven’t got space to keep it. We will also be happy to have all your spare cuttings to root for the scheme. Just imagine what range of Mesembs there must already be in members collections, and how comprehensive the scheme could be if the majority of members donated!
By the way, all plants in the scheme are designated as MSG plants, and those which haven’t been requested by members are kept by John for sale at events and shows with all proceeds going to MSG.
The scheme is only available to UK members of MSG. The need to obtain Phytosanitary Certification for export of plants makes it impractical to make it available to overseas members, sorry!
You can PM me with details of any material you have available, or email John (his address in the front page of every Bulletin-or ask me by PM) if you would like to have any plants which are currently available.
Please help us grow the scheme into something really exciting and comprehensive!

FACEBOOK
We have a MSG Facebook page (Mesemb Study Group). I’ve made alterations so that members and the public can post on it. I’ll also use it as a vehicle for keeping members up to date with news and events (including my progress with seed orders when the distribution starts).

FINALLY
Happy New Year to all MSG and BCSS members and Good Growing in 2021.

Peter
Peter. Lapsed cactus enthusiast, now into Conophytums. Fewer plasters when repotting! MSG member.
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Mesemb Study Group News

Post by Keith L »

And the bulletin delivered to the Midlands today by Royal Mail (NOT post office as someone keeps saying - it was privatised separately nearly 10 years ago!)! I suggest you move back to civilisation in Milton Keynes for better postal service, Colin!

Cheers!

Keith
Darren S
BCSS Member

Post by Darren S »

My bulletin arrived today too - alongside my BCSS seed.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Mine too and I'd only joined a bit before Christmas.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Roatavator wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:04 am
MSG subscriptions are now due. This can be done online at
www.mesemb.org

I’VE JUST BEEN TOLD THE BULLETIN WAS POSTED YESTERDAY 29 DECEMBER

Peter, You'll be pleased to know I received my copy today 31/12. And a full and good issue it is.

Re subscriptions, I think the instructions need updating. The online reference you quote giving Paypal payment options gave me no chance at all to enter any reference to help Suzanne link my membership to my membership. So I sent payment by Paypal to the payment email address on the form. Having then been able to quote my membership number for renewal I hope I don't have to further send in the renewal form.

Same as for the BCSS, maybe the renewal form could do with a bit of tweaking.
Roatavator
BCSS Member

Post by Roatavator »

Glad you like the Bulletin!
Subscriptions are Suzanne’s domain. I agree the PayPal method must be a bit difficult for her as she’s only got the email address to work from. Having said that, she does seem to manage fine as I always renew that way with no problem.
And no need to fill in the form, it all works straightforwardly from PayPal information.
Peter. Lapsed cactus enthusiast, now into Conophytums. Fewer plasters when repotting! MSG member.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Roatavator wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:02 pm Glad you like the Bulletin!
Thanks. It is a splendid edition.
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

Does anyone know who gets the membership money when you join the MSG?
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Roatavator
BCSS Member

Post by Roatavator »

Information on MSG is available here:-
www.mesemb.org

My understanding is that subscriptions are used to offset costs of the Bulletin with any remainder being put towards research and conservation. Suzanne Mace, whose contact details are on the website, will be able to give you more information if required.
Paulabek
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Paulabek »

I hope you have all received the latest bulleting. Have any of you got the seed list in a digital version such as excel or word please?
Thanks
Paula

##UPDATE ## RECEIVED FROM PETER - THANK YOU!!
Last edited by Paulabek on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------
Paula Bek
Cambridge (UK)
Instagram: latine.hortus