Which seeds did you order this year?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Which seeds did you order this year?

Post by Herts Mike »

Two forms of Aloe variegata, Aloe krapohliana ssp.dumoulinii (on my wants list for a while) and Pelargonium longifolium. Aloe chortolirioides and penduliflora just received.
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

Herts Mike wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:01 pm Two forms of Aloe variegata, Aloe chortolirioides just received.
Hi Mike,
Where did you get Aloe chortolirioides from? I am after this and other grass aloe species.
And which forms of a. variegata? I have 4 different localities by now, so I would be interested to know.

Best,
Maciej
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Chortolirioides was Seeds For Africa and variegata is on the Mesa Gardens site.
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

Herts Mike wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:36 pm Chortolirioides was Seeds For Africa and variegata is on the Mesa Gardens site.
Thanks Mike! Got these from Mesa Garden already few years back. I have never ordered from SFA before - are they reliable source?
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Absolutely but they don’t ship to the UK any more. A South African friend orders for me and then sends them over to me.
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Nick_G »

Nick_G wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:56 pm
Nick_G wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:20 am Mainly just some Gymnocalycium spegazzinii from Cactus Moravia. About 30 different localities and seed that I presume was habitat collected. There's a part of me that would just like to have a greenhouse full of one species only and spegazzinii would do nicely.
I tested the germination of 5 of the packets and nothing has sprouted. I wasn't that surprised. Some of the packets contained an unlikely amount of seed, several hundred in one, and this is always a sign that the seed is old. I don't know why suppliers do this, I don't care how many seeds they send me if none of them is going to germinate. I've sent them an email to complain, at £1 a packet I'd really like my money back, but I'm not expecting much joy.
I've sown them all now, 39 packets. Pretty good germination in 27 so I'm happy enough with that.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

So Nick when you decide to make some room just send the Turbinicarpus to Leeds and I will look after them 😉
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/