Dioscorea elephantipes - when to flower?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MaciejW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HERNE BAY

Dioscorea elephantipes - when to flower?

Post by MaciejW »

Hi all,

I have a decent sized number of plants raised from seed. They are few years old and I would have hoped that they are getting to the flowering size. I was wondering what is your experience of them flowering here in the UK. Which months they are likely to come into bud and flower?

Many thanks in advance.

Maciej
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Dioscorea elephantipes - when to flower?

Post by ralphrmartin »

Well, mine has flowered for the last few years, and it isn't in flower yet, but I expect it will be in the next month or so.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

How many years old are they and whats the size of them,
mine are a good size & age ( from an older branch member) but don't even flower every year or at the same time .
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

Mine is about 20 years old from seed and has flowered in the last couple of years, no flowers last year though for some reason . The flowers aren’t worth getting excited about 😂
MaciejW
BCSS Member

Post by MaciejW »

Tina wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:17 pm How many years old are they and whats the size of them,
mine are a good size & age ( from an older branch member) but don't even flower every year or at the same time .
Plants are roughly 7-8 cm in diameter and coming to 6 year now. I was hoping that it might be enough for them to start flowering, but based on your responses, may be it is too early.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Still teenagers then, just repot n feed regularly.
Are they growing well ?.

I think mine may need a sunnier position as they are at the back of the greenhouse.
Tony Morris who produces the seed for the BCSS has his on the floor but climbing up sticks, probably easier to get to the flowers this way, you also need a pair to get flowers I think its the males that are less common.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

Mine is male. Pollen anyone? ( If it flowers this year of course...)
MaciejW
BCSS Member

Post by MaciejW »

Tina wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:30 am Still teenagers then, just repot n feed regularly.
Are they growing well ?.

I think mine may need a sunnier position as they are at the back of the greenhouse.
Tony Morris who produces the seed for the BCSS has his on the floor but climbing up sticks, probably easier to get to the flowers this way, you also need a pair to get flowers I think its the males that are less common.
They grow well and are being looked after ;) The leaves bask in a full sun, or whatever the light I can offer them this time of the year.

I am aware of this and therefore kept all 7 seedlings for myself hoping that there will be at least 1 of each sex.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

Other than for purposes of seed production the flowers are pretty much a non event and as with everything else these plants seem to have a mind of their own. It seems that my one never sticks to the same growing season or flowering time each year.
Do all your seed raised plants grow at the same time or are they equally self willed?
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
MaciejW
BCSS Member

Post by MaciejW »

Keith H wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:39 am Do all your seed raised plants grow at the same time or are they equally self willed?
They are pretty consistent. Might be a number of reasons, like all coming from one mother plant- something I am unable to confirm, or the fact that they are growing in one larger tray.