Lists of books and useful pages (info and help wanted, please)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
fero
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Lists of books and useful pages (info and help wanted, please)

Post by fero »

I will recommend Pachycaul and caudiciform plants by Philippe de Vosjoli. Also it's follow up Bonsai succulents .
Gordon Rowley's the illustrated encyclopedia of succulents.
The strawberry press euphoria journals 1_10. Are also a favorite.
If any ones got a copy of Gordon Rowley. caudiciform and pachyform succulents, they are no longer using. Im interested in purchasing one though not for the price on amazon ,they're about 250pounds online
Happy seed sowing and spring time growing to you all..
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

I got Pilbeam's Agave book for Christmas. The pictures are amazing to drool over (which I think was the idea) but I prefer Greg Starr's book 'Agaves - Living sculptures for landscapes and containers' for the additional information.

I'd also recommend Schulz and Kapitany, 'Echeveria Cultivars' and 'Soft Succulents' by Jeff Moore (as I can't seem to buy 'Aeonium in habitat and cultivation' by Schulz for sale!)
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Dear Hot Chilli,
Have you ever considered putting a book together yourself?
You must have some amount of material already.
I think the word I need to use is "chicken". The idea of starting out to produce something that is two or three hundred pages long is just too daunting - the last time I did it was my PhD thesis! So I am content to produce a series of articles for CactusWorld in which I am trying to distil my experiences of growing succulent plants, particularly the South African ones, over a long period of time. I have great admiration for the likes of John Pilbeam who seems to produce a lot of books with ease.

I must say though that a new book on conophytums is now badly overdue; it is almost 20 years since Steve Hammer's Dumpling. Perhaps a collaborative effort is needed?
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Terry S. wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:41 am Dear Hot Chilli,
I think the word I need to use is "chicken". The idea of starting out to produce something that is two or three hundred pages long is just too daunting - the last time I did it was my PhD thesis! So I am content to produce a series of articles for CactusWorld in which I am trying to distil my experiences of growing succulent plants, particularly the South African ones, over a long period of time. I have great admiration for the likes of John Pilbeam who seems to produce a lot of books with ease.

I must say though that a new book on conophytums is now badly overdue; it is almost 20 years since Steve Hammer's Dumpling. Perhaps a collaborative effort is needed?
Isn't that how PhD theses are produced anyway?! Just stitch them articles together and find a catchy title!
Mat
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Aiko wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:51 pm
Phil_SK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:44 pm
Aiko wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:35 pm In that case, I will let a moderator remove my post and your comments to it.
Done. That'll have everyone wondering! :lol:
Thanks.
My guess is Peyote the Divine Cactus, Edward F Anderson. Do I win the prize?
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Terry S. wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:41 am Dear Hot Chilli,
I have great admiration for the likes of John Pilbeam who seems to produce a lot of books with ease.

Looks like John Pilbeam is just a consultant editor on his most recent books. All you need to do is gather the stuff together, find an enthusiastic young editor doing nothing during lockdown, then take out the red biro. And as we say over here, The Job's Oxo.
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by HaoBao »

I would love Terry to work/contribute towards a book, I would often refer back to his website to check how the watering/life cycle works for conophytums. I was going to suggest putting his website on this list.
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

ragamala wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:52 am
Aiko wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:51 pm
Phil_SK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:44 pm Done. That'll have everyone wondering! :lol:
Thanks.
My guess is Peyote the Divine Cactus, Edward F Anderson. Do I win the prize?
Ha, no. It was a link to a PDF of a book which at first seemed legit, but probably was not.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Terry S. wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:41 am I think the word I need to use is "chicken". The idea of starting out to produce something that is two or three hundred pages long is just too daunting - the last time I did it was my PhD thesis!
You can always write articles on a specific species and continue doing that until you are fed up with it and publish it in CactusWorld or the MSG bulletin. So just one step at a time without the need of ever finishing it if you don't want. And maybe by the time you get to the species starting with a 'z', you have enough to combine them all together in one complete monograph book.

Or you can always write monographs on small genera. I for example really like the Epithelantha 2011 booklet by Davide Donati & Carlo Zanovello. Just a handful of species and some subspecies, and that is it. The same size book one could write on Monilaria, Mitrophyllum, Aloinopsis or Titanopsis.

(Hint)
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Which brings us to Mr Hammer’s The Titanopsis Group. I rather like it despite the occasional odd turn of phrase...
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch