SanFran S&C Society in the 21st century: "Rethinking the Genus Sansevieria" on their YouTube channel!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

SanFran S&C Society in the 21st century: "Rethinking the Genus Sansevieria" on their YouTube channel!

Post by MatDz »

The post title is deliberately a little pungent :twisted: , but I would be more happy with Sansevieria related discussion below.

The SanFran S&C Society shared an interesting talk on "Rethinking the Genus Sansevieria" on their YouTube channel, enjoy: https://youtu.be/VuV5nl-c7BY

PS: I genuinely believe BCSS needs at least a couple of good talks out there as well!
Mat
Cactuscat2
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: SanFran S&C Society in the 21st century: "Rethinking the Genus Sansevieria" on their YouTube channel!

Post by Cactuscat2 »

Just enjoyed this talk! Very interesting.
Pattock
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: SanFran S&C Society in the 21st century: "Rethinking the Genus Sansevieria" on their YouTube channel!

Post by Pattock »

Very interesting talk.

If the BCSS puts talks on Youtube I would encourage typing in the subtitles properly. The automatic closed captions are never going to cope with normal talk, let alone a Sansevieria ehrenbergii. Accessibility for the hard-of-hearing is a necessity much ignored even by the large and pompous youtubers.

I might even be able to help.
Last edited by Pattock on Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

The automated captions certainly struggle with Gennaro Contaldo, the smaller of the Two Greedy Italian chefs on YouTube. Maris Piper potatoes will always be Merry Pipes since I saw that.

Seriously though, it may be funny if you don’t need the captions, but for everyone else it must be awful. I saw a video about astrophytums the other day but it was in Thai, and there were no captions, so unless I translated it I couldn’t follow it.

So yes, proper subtitles are worth it if someone’s willing to do it.
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

This is why I stopped attending the live zoom lectures, because they are not live captioned. I have discussed with some people and there isn't the budget to pay for otter.io (Live captioning provider). The first zoom talk I attended did have live captions but that was with the ferrocactus talk and I haven't attended any since.