Photo rotates randomly when posting from phone

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Photo rotates randomly when posting from phone

Post by MatDz »

Acid John wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:42 pm It is this website, in NO other sites does it happen even with the same photo. Usually if you have a wrongly oriented photo when you tap the lower edge it will open larger and in the correct orientation. Why the site cannot do it right first time I don't know. It didn't used to be this way and I still use the same phone so nothing has changed on my end.
I second this, all rotated photos open correctly in new tabs, which means the browser can handle the position data correctly, while the forum engine not.
Mat
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by HaoBao »

Herts Mike: Do you know which model IPhone you are using? I wonder if that makes a difference and you said you only post landscape too so that might be why it’s not affecting your posts?

I take portrait and landscape photo’s and sometimes mix them up, depends what I’m photographing.

Don’t know if you should blame me really. Having to edit a photo before posting seems like a website issue. It stops me from posting more pictures because I can’t be bothered to edit them all. Will be interesting to see if it still happens on the new website.
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Herts Mike: I just saw the nice flower you found this morning and the picture is portrait, did you edit it from landscape?

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

HaoBao wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:14 pm Herts Mike: Do you know which model IPhone you are using? I wonder if that makes a difference and you said you only post landscape too so that might be why it’s not affecting your posts?

I take portrait and landscape photo’s and sometimes mix them up, depends what I’m photographing.

Don’t know if you should blame me really. Having to edit a photo before posting seems like a website issue. It stops me from posting more pictures because I can’t be bothered to edit them all. Will be interesting to see if it still happens on the new website.
You don't have to do anything with them, all photos can be correctly opened in a new tab, which is more than enough to enjoy them!
Mat
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Is the ‘opening a new tab’ on a PC or something else?

Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168383&hilit=rotation#p279528

Already covered here in case anyone wants a read......
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Interesting. I have just visited the Namaqualand Photo thread and the bottom of the first page a photo by GiacomoP.
If you click on the small magnifier image in the top left hand corner or anywhere else on the photo it opens as it appears first (on its side) but if you click on the bottom edge it appears in the correct upright orientation :conf:
Acid John
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Thanks Chris L, I should’ve checked for other threads before I asked again.

To sum it up: The forum strips some data causing the photo to rotate, which is why the original displays correctly when you download it because it still has all the data. To fix it you have to faff around transferring photos through another application. The new website might fix it.

Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I edited insofar as taking out some unnecessary green at the sides but that was it. Frequently my pictures aren’t edited at all.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

The new website is nearly here :tweed: and being tested by BOT members so as long as it has no serious faults It may be imminent
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.