Possible poorly Pachypodium horombense?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Possible poorly Pachypodium horombense?

Post by el48tel »

20210203_083941.jpg
Can anyone suggest a diagnosis and possible remedy?

It lives in a conservatory .... Night temperature approx 6C
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Possible poorly Pachypodium horombense?

Post by Nick_G »

It's either severely dehydrated or dead. Have you been watering it over winter? If you have then maybe you've given it too much and if you haven't maybe you should have. I've found horombense and densiflorum tricky to overwinter, I'm down to one densiflorum now. MikeDom grows them well, hopefully he can help. I think 6C is a bit cold.

Some Pachypodiums, windsorii for example, respond to some winter water even when not in leaf.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Thanks Nick_G
The plant sitting immediately behind it is a densiflorum in an identical compost in an identical pot.
That plant has just a couple of leaves which look scorched.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

That temperature is far too low for a Madagascan pachypodium. I also wonder why they haven't been deciduous?Better to grow these as house plants over winter.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

Looks poorly but you may be able to recover it. Once it loses it’s roots that recovery becomes very tricky.

I last drench watered mine in November, don’t assume that they need a dry rest over winter Lowest recorded temperature in my greenhouse is 2 Deg C this winter and yet the Pachypodiums are mostly in full leaf, including brevicaule. Night time temperatures vary but are generally less than 10 Deg. I gently squeeze the stem to determine if it needs water, and if it feels soft then I water a small amount, I don’t worry too much about the temperature as it won’t drop below zero.

I would squeeze the stem and see if it is firm - if soft, give a small amount of water. If firm, knock it out if it’s pot and see if it has roots - if it has, give a smaller amount of water and hope that it will resume growing in spring, the water is just there to help it retain it’s roots. Give water once a month until April when growth should start in earnest.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MikeDom
Many thanks
Both species were very soft.
They have both had a few teaspoons of water.
Scheduled again for the 1st of March.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Terry S. wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:43 am That temperature is far too low for a Madagascan pachypodium. I also wonder why they haven't been deciduous?Better to grow these as house plants over winter.
Absolutely.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

I have two Pachpodium Saundersii. One is in top shape never gets below 15c in the house.

Number 2 was in the greenhouse, it gets down to minimum 6c. It was in a poor state a couple of weeks ago, dehydrated and looking like it had fallen of the perch. Stuck it in a pan of warmed up rain water for 30minutes until it was soaking wet. I put it in a warm place in the house and a day later it was nice and fat again. Looks very happy.
Specks suggested 10c minimum for saundersii.
In my previous collection I had a number of Madagascan Pachys. Always kept them indoors during the winter. 6c is too low for them.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

el48tel wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am Thanks Nick_G
The plant sitting immediately behind it is a densiflorum in an identical compost in an identical pot.
El48tel, if the plant is one of a couple I sent you we both should be grateful to Nick_G, whose seed and generosity it was that generated your plant. I can send you replacement if the outcome is not good, Nick's seed for these two species resulted in good germination, and I still have dup plants. Some, have flowered, I see. I don't know at what age one might expect flowering. and I am not experienced enough to know how the demise of a flower stalk, leaving a calloused scar, affects the plant, and its "offsetting".
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

ragamala wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:10 pm
el48tel wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am Thanks Nick_G
El48tel, if the plant is one of a couple I sent you we both should be grateful to Nick_G, whose seed and generosity it was that generated your plant. I can send you replacement if the outcome is not good, Nick's seed for these two species resulted in good germination, and I still have dup plants. Some, have flowered, I see. I don't know at what age one might expect flowering. and I am not experienced enough to know how the demise of a flower stalk, leaving a calloused scar, affects the plant, and its "offsetting".
Yes unfortunately it is (was) [they are] but I'm hoping for a good outcome of their (temporary) vacation in the house as Mrs el48tel has permitted such. Thank you for your kind offer which I shall keep in mind.