Terry Smale

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Terry Smale

Post by Aiko »

Very sad news to hear.

It is good to know at least one very nice Conophytum has been named after him and Jennifer: Conophytum smaleorum. I think he certainly deserves more mesembs to follow in his honour.
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Christian »

It is so sad to read this... I remember a splendid talk he gave at Birmingham, which was just testament to his deep knowledge of, and the enthusiasm for the plants he spoke about. Like others I enjoyed reading his contributions here or in the journals he contributed to, and like many I owe him a lot for his work on the MSG seed distribution and the plant lists he produced over many years. What a sad loss! My condolences to Jennifer.
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
GiacomoP
BCSS Member

Post by GiacomoP »

English is not my mother tongue. Nevertheless, i will try. I never met personally Terry, but i know him since, may be 30 years or more. I know, I guess, most of, if not all, what he published on MSGB or other journals. I was inspired by him, his travels and his kindness. He belongs to a first class of people that made this passion a wonderful madness. will miss him a lot.
Giac
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

RIP such sad news, such a lovely kind man as others have said he was always so helpful and had an amazing knowledge of his plants & there best cultivation, poor Jennifer and family.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

Such sad news. I’m going to go and check on the first ever conophytums I grew last year as they came from Terry, he was the main reason I got interested in mesembs. I never met him in person but after seeing his clip on Gardeners World and his generosity on the forum he seemed like a great man and a proper gentleman. I hope the society can help out in some way and give support to his wife and family.
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Such terrible news and such a dreadful shock for Jennifer, my thoughts are with her. Terry will be an enormous loss to the hobby for his years of experience and calm, scientific approach, plus his enthusiasm in sharing his knowledge, not least to local branches. Like Stuart, I looked forward to his contributions here, always so rational. RIP Terry.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

Very sad to read this. Terry was immensely knowledgeable and willing to part with his knowledge, but I remember mostly his kindness the handful of times I met him. My condolences to Jennifer and his family.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

This is an awful shock. Over the last couple of years, Terry had been a very regular contributor to the forum and his comments were always well thought out and very well presented. A very helpful, kind man. I had the privilege of meeting him once and, of course , he made a very impressive appearance on Gardener's World a couple of years ago. A very sad loss to the Society and the succulent world in general. R.I.P Terry.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Sylvia »

Such a dreadful shock. Terry had been a friend of mine since the late 70's and first introduced me to Cacti and Succulents after a talk at a local Gardening Club in Surrey where I used to live. Will miss you Terry. Thoughts go out to Jennifer. R.I.P Terry.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

I was devastated when I heard this tragic news yesterday, the passing of a great local friend, and fellow synthetic organic chemist. Each winter seems to bring even more sad news to our hobby as the years go by.

Terry will be sorely missed for his great contributions to the UK C&S community and beyond. I cannot believe I will not hear his erudite words at a future meeting nor read his cogent thoughts on this Forum and elsewhere.

Most sincere condolences to Jennifer and family. RIP Terry.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)