Terry Smale

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AndrewB
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Terry Smale

Post by AndrewB »

I enjoyed speaking with Terry in response to a question or two I asked at the weekly Zoom presentations. This was the closest I got to meeting him, unless he was a presenter at my local branch back in the 90’s during my first period of membership, obviously I can’t recall if he was.

From what he said at the weekly presentations, which he clearly enjoyed, I expect he was growing something other than mesembs back then!

His death is sad and he will be missed, my sympathies to his wife, family and friends.
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Terry was a fount of much knowledge and expertise. I was always impressed by his knowledge and his willingness to pass it on in a helpful and kind manner. The world is a poorer place for his passing.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

I met Terry on numerous occasions and have communicated regularly with him as he was a major contributor to the CactusWorld journal in recent years. His knowledge of many different plant families, not just succulent ones, was vast as were his cultivation abilities.

I will miss him terribly. But he will still be with us as he wrote a lengthy article on Conophytum cultivation just a few weeks ago, which he suggested be published in the September CactusWorld so you will hear from him again!

Condolences to Jennifer.

Al
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

It was a great pleasure for us to name Conophytum smaleorum for Terry and Jen and both myself and Andy Young thought it well deserved. I knew Terry since The mid 1980's and our shared interest in Conophytum meant we stayed friends ever since. We had planned a field trip together in 1999 but my cancer diagnosis put paid to that so it unfortunately never happened. His early demise is a great loss to Jen, the hobby and to everyone who knew him, but through his writing and his cono, his name and memory lives on.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Marisa
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Marisa »

I knew him from reading his advice around here but he conveyed so much generosity and kindness.
Thank you for naming a Conophytum after him, it is a beautiful tribute that is well deserved.
I'm very sorry for the loss of him. My condolences to Jennifer, her family and friends.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Al Laius wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:56 pm [...]
I will miss him terribly. But he will still be with us as he wrote a lengthy article on Conophytum cultivation just a few weeks ago, which he suggested be published in the September CactusWorld so you will hear from him again!

Condolences to Jennifer.

Al
I'd happily buy a "Terry's special issue" to have all of his (shared to date) knowledge in one place.
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:21 pm
Al Laius wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:56 pm [...]

Condolences to Jennifer.

Al
I'd happily buy a "Terry's special issue" to have all of his (shared to date) knowledge in one place.
A tribute issue or section would be a worthy idea
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
tonyironscacti
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by tonyironscacti »

Just heard the news. So sad to hear of his passing....he will be sadly missed not only by myself but many others in the plant world, that were touched by his gentle knowledge, willingly imparted to all that listened. Tony.
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

I have met Terry on number of occasions and I was also lucky to visit him and Jenny. His knowledge on all geophytes was second to none. He will be truly missed.

Condolences to Jenny.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

It truly was a shock to hear of Terry's passing when I joined the BCSS Zoom meeting on Tuesday night. Although I have known of Terry by reputation and his writings for many years, it wasn't until I began attending the MSG Banstead event from 2012 onwards that I conversed with him. Any comment or observation made by Terry was worthy of consideration. I can only add to what others have written, about his generosity in sharing his well respected knowledge and his kindness in taking the time he took to show me around his collection when I visited him and Jennifer.

It is clear by the response of people around the world, on different social media platforms, how much Terry has had an impact on people, their lives and their hobbies. Although there is no doubt that his legacy and influence will live on, through his writings and his plants, the world of succulents and geophytes has been left with a huge void. The BCSS, MSG and horticulture in general has lost one of its elderly statesmen and it feels like we have lost a national treasure.

My sincere condolences go to Jennifer at this very sad and difficult time.

R.I.P Terry
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse