Ferocactus identification

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ross M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Ferocactus identification

Post by Ross M »

I'm guessing latispinus on the left and something like stainesii v. pilosus or gracilis on the right????? Can anyone with better knowledge of Ferocacti help?

Mammillaria's they certainly ain't 🤔

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20210222_144104.jpg
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Ferocactus identification

Post by juster »

I'm far from an expert on Ferocacti, but I don't think the one on the right is pilosus, or at least, it doesn't look anything like mine! below
IMG_1188.JPG
The one on the left has quite broad spines, so maybe is latispinus, others might know better.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

The one on the right could be subsp, Pringlei (no wispy spines) and the other could be Latispinus subsp. Greenwoodii as the centrals don't look quite as wide as a standard latispinus.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Lefthand one might be F. herrerae, very common in the trade.
Cheshire, UK
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

All Lidl labels have the plant passport numbers on the back ( and should say Ferocactus in small print on the front )
Also there will be listed a GGN number which you can trace online.
Those look like they have come from Edelcactus in Holland and you can trace the species on their website.
What do I think they are ? well young Ferocactus are not easy to ID, but I agree the one on the right looks like the red spine form of F. pilosus which is sometimes called F. stainesii.
The one on the left with the open wavy ribs and a hooked lower central spine looks like a form of F. latispinus and I would say it is F. latispinus ssp. spiralis.

Hope this helps.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

Thanks all and in particular Ray for the detailed information. Unfortunately the labels don't help as every single plant in the tray, including two different species of Melocacti, had been given Mammillaria labels! The tray was complete and the plants just been put out so I'm thinking they must have left the nursery like that.
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.