Is this a goner?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
atgamble
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Is this a goner?

Post by atgamble »

Hi all, I've got a Pilosocereus chrystostele (I think) that I've had for a few years. It's now got three decent stems on it, but unforunately the largest stem has developed some rot and black spots. It's on the same watering routine and in the same window that it has always been in so I'm not sure what has caused it. Photos below:

There's no sign of rot in the other stems or on any of my other plants. I'm considering cutting this stem out entirely if it's beyond saving?
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Is this a goner?

Post by ralphrmartin »

I dont think you can save the stem. If you cut the top off well above the rot, you may be able to get the top going as a cutting.
I'd also unpot it, and cut the bad stem off from the two good stems (assuming the rot hasn't spread across to them), and leave a week before potting up.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Have the bases always been that thin, just wondering if it's a bit of scorch ?, as there is varying degree's of scarring on the three stems.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
atgamble
Registered Guest

Post by atgamble »

Thanks Ralph, I'll give it a go, hopefully the top of the stem isn't too far gone for a cutting.

Hi Tina, yes the bases of all three are skinny and corky, but I always just assumed it was a species thing since I don't seem to get it on my other cacti. Do you think it's possibly not liking being in full sun?
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

HI,

Did you buy this plant with the three stems already growing together, in which case I suspect that this is three separate seedlings put in a pot together as a lot of wholesalers do now. Also if this is the case then the problem is unlikely to have spread to all three stems.

I suspect that in the past this plant has not had enough water or food, it is not cold damage as you keep it indoors. I also think that this is not Pilosocereus chrysostele but is Vatricania guentheri. In which case this is a very tall growing plant which flowers for us each year having reached a height of around 7 or 8 feet.

I also think that the black rot, a kind of weeping, will with the better weather seal itself and stop going any further but of course will still not be pretty to look at. However if you do cut the top off it should root for you as Ralph states.

Good luck, Suzanne
atgamble
Registered Guest

Post by atgamble »

Hi Suzanne, I bought this as a single stem a few years ago. It was an unlabelled garden centre plant I believe, as most of my current collection are. I've just had a root around and the three stems are definitely a single plant so I am a bit worried about the other two stems.

Lack of feed could definitely be the culprit, when I initially bought my cacti I was under the impression that they didn't particularly need feeding so the only feed they had for the first few years was when they were repotted. The newest stem seems fairly happy and is a much darker green colour than the older ones, so hopefully even if I have to cut off the rotten stem I can give it some TLC this year and end up with a really nice plant down the line.

Thanks for the ID, I'd be very interested to see your 8 foot specimen, the tallest stem on mine is only 9 inches!

Many thanks,
Alex