At last .... flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: At last .... flowers

Post by MikeDom »

Turbinicarpus beguinii ssp. albiflorus for comparison.
IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I'll pile in with a regular pink one. No UV photos, I'm afraid.
beguinii-0428.jpg
Cheshire, UK
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Thanks MikeDom.
A useful comparison photo.
When I took the label out to replace it, there was "v. senilis" hidden below compost level.
Did the original owner miscopy the name onto the label or did I miscopy the name when I replaced the broken label?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Thanks iann. Another useful comparison.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

There is a beguinii var senilis. Same as T. mandragora?
Cheshire, UK
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

iann wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:29 pm There is a beguinii var senilis. Same as T. mandragora?
There you have the advantage over me.
AndrewB
BCSS Member

Post by AndrewB »

Terry,

A properly blue cactus flower at last! If only it was that colour when illuminated by daylight :grin:

What does Echinocereus viridiflorus look like under UV?
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

AndrewB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:00 pm Terry,

A properly blue cactus flower at last! If only it was that colour when illuminated by daylight :grin:

What does Echinocereus viridiflorus look like under UV?
If I had the plant, which I don't, I would be able to tell you.
What colour is the flower, and any variants of it?
AndrewB
BCSS Member

Post by AndrewB »

It’s a light green or some times green/brown or lemon/green colour. I guess I could put some batteries in my old stamp inspection UV lamp and see what it looks like when it flowers. It’s often lighty scented as well.

Similar to a lot of Echinocereus, it has spines in an array of reds, whites, blacks, greys and browns..... how do spines behave under UV?
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

AndrewB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:44 pm It’s a light green or some times green/brown or lemon/green colour. I guess I could put some batteries in my old stamp inspection UV lamp and see what it looks like when it flowers. It’s often lighty scented as well.

Similar to a lot of Echinocereus, it has spines in an array of reds, whites, blacks, greys and browns..... how do spines behave under UV?
Sounds promising. Mid spectrum (green) to high end (blue violet) are able to fluoresce and produce a visible output. Yellows are not usually productive, similarly reds, and yellow Lithops seem not to fluoresce with the frequency light which I have. Brown and grey give surprising results, because they seem to be mixtures of pigments. One grey strip in a Gymnocalycium flower gave an amazing brilliant red fluorescence.
Spines seem to fluoresce brilliantly, as do the "spots" on some Haworthia.
All new territory for me .... but exciting nonetheless