Shading cover

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rcapra
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Shading cover

Post by rcapra »

Dear friends, I am writing to you for your help with a dilemma I have to solve. I have a new greenhouse where I only grow cacti and I have to choose the shading and anti-hail cover. The roof is made of polycarbonate. I am facing south and my problem is sunburn and excessive temperature.
Do you think 50% shading is appropriate or is it possible to get to 75% without harming the growth? The net has a white color and not dark green. (Certainly the ferocactus and echinocereus will be in full sun.)
Thank you so much for the valuable advice.
Ruggero
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Shading cover

Post by Herts Mike »

Much as I would love to help you, my problem is getting enough sun.

I have never needed to shade, even when I grew Haworthias.

Sorry.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by conolady »

rcapra wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:08 am Dear friends, I am writing to you for your help with a dilemma I have to solve. I have a new greenhouse where I only grow cacti and I have to choose the shading and anti-hail cover. The roof is made of polycarbonate. I am facing south and my problem is sunburn and excessive temperature.
Do you think 50% shading is appropriate or is it possible to get to 75% without harming the growth? The net has a white color and not dark green. (Certainly the ferocactus and echinocereus will be in full sun.)
Thank you so much for the valuable advice.
Ruggero
Hello. I think 50% is adequate. I have used it when necessary and the plants looked fine. I used dark green shade net, but I’m sure the white would be equally good.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

I would have thought that your biggest problem in Italy may be ensuring sufficient ventilation and airflow. Taking out some of the side windows for the summer along with 50% shading may be the best option. If you use shading I think it will need to be in place all year round. Good luck.
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

I've seen net curtains work well . I leave my bubble insulation up, just have to take it down before it disintegrates.
rcapra
BCSS Member

Post by rcapra »

Thanks for your help! The opening of the side walls and 50% shading should work well without damaging the growth of the plant and thorns. I will share the experience.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I would go for the 50% if you have some plants that are still struggling they can have a little extra protection with out it affecting all your plants, some of mine get an extra green net covering if they are looking unhappy.
https://www.forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic ... on#p306331
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
rcapra
BCSS Member

Post by rcapra »

It seems to me an excellent choice especially for gymnocalycium which in my case suffer from excess sun even if well ventilated.