Has anyone tried the peat-free John Innes?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
wildedges
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Has anyone tried the peat-free John Innes?

Post by wildedges »

I only saw this today so apologies if it has been discussed and I missed it. Melcourt have recently released a new range of peat free John Innes composts and I was wondering if anyone has been tempted to try it? I've been using their peat-free multi-purpose for years now and I've found it to be really good so hopefully the JI will be just as good. The peat has been replaced with bark and wood fibre apparently.
https://www.melcourt.co.uk/product/john-innes-range/
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Re: Has anyone tried the peat-free John Innes?

Post by Nick_G »

No, but I think I will if I can find some, and at the right price. Have you tried any?
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

I've tried six garden centres now and none are stocking it yet. Quite a few seem to be struggling to get enough compost in at the moment though so it might just be supply issues. I probably won't have much use for it this year now as I'll have done all my repotting by the time I find some. I assume they've replaced the peat with a blend of woodchip and coir but I'm mostly curious about how easy it is to re-wet once it gets very dry.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Why is this off-topic? More folk might be interested in this if this were shifted.
FredG
Registered Guest

Post by FredG »

ragamala wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:27 pm Why is this off-topic?
Why is it called John Innes? It's like taking an egg sandwich, removing the egg, adding cheese and calling it an egg free egg sandwich. :sad:
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Yes, choice of growing medium's on topic I'd say! Moved.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Sounds like it could be an improvement just from the description. The peat was never my favourite ingredient in John Innes and I'm fed up with the plastic and metal in green waste products. Could also be a nightmare if the "finely-shredded bark" turns out to be random lumps of wood. Has anyone even seen this stuff for sale? No point all the hype about it if you can't buy it anywhere.
Cheshire, UK
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

iann wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:38 pm Sounds like it could be an improvement just from the description. The peat was never my favourite ingredient in John Innes and I'm fed up with the plastic and metal in green waste products. Could also be a nightmare if the "finely-shredded bark" turns out to be random lumps of wood. Has anyone even seen this stuff for sale? No point all the hype about it if you can't buy it anywhere.
Melcourt "SylvaGrow" is one available online but not cheap.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

FredG wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:30 pm
ragamala wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:27 pm Why is this off-topic?
Why is it called John Innes? It's like taking an egg sandwich, removing the egg, adding cheese and calling it an egg free egg sandwich. :sad:
Agreed.
And yes lumps of wood, plastic and materials not fitting any categories are also not my idea of compost either.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

FredG wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:30 pm Why is it called John Innes? It's like taking an egg sandwich, removing the egg, adding cheese and calling it an egg free egg sandwich. :sad:
Because it is approved by the John Innes Manufacturer's Association. :grin:

For those who missed the link in the first post in this thread:
https://www.melcourt.co.uk/product/john-innes-range/

As the bark and wood fibre are from British forests this one might become more competitive, price-wise, in the next few years.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/