When is a succulent not a succulent?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
wildedges
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

When is a succulent not a succulent?

Post by wildedges »

I was out exploring the RSPB nature reserve near Newport this weekend and found a patch of waste ground under a pylon which had a few interesting little plants growing amongst rocks that were probably clinker from the old power station. Not a lot was growing there but you can see rabbit fur stuck to the plant in the photo so the poor soil probably isn't the only reason. We've had a very dry spring though so everything was very stunted.
The reason for my question was that I found this small plant with fleshy tri-lobed leaves that reminded me of a saxifrage. Googling ''succulent saxifrage' was no use but I eventually tracked it down as Saxifraga tridactylites, the rue-leaved saxifrage. Apparently it's not a succulent but does have fleshy leaves and I probably have succulent plants that have less flesh to their leaves. It just made me curious where the line is drawn.
eduart
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: When is a succulent not a succulent?

Post by eduart »

Ohhh, there's no definite limit IMHO. It's a question to ask to high-flying botanists (if you think they know). They get off easily by using vague terms like fleshy or sub-succulent. Most (and I mean almost all) plants have succulent tissue at least at a certain stage of their existence. Is the watermellon a succulent plant? I guess not - but the mellon contains almost entirely water. Its thought is to allow the seeds to germinate with plenty of water available. It's a complicated question...
CSSNZ Auckland Branch

https://carpophyma.page.tl/
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: When is a succulent not a succulent?

Post by Acid John »

A succulent is something that is still alive when you return from a long holiday in summer.
As for Melons I think the water is to attract seed dispersing animals that will poo the seeds out undamaged further away.
Acid John