Lobivia chrysochete MN133?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lobivia chrysochete MN133?

Post by Nick_G »

I have this labelled as Lobivia chrysochete MN133. It's a robust plant, 6 inches across, and annoyingly for the last two years has produced plenty of buds but only one has developed. I don't think the flower will fully open this year, it's been like this for a couple of days, we're not getting much sun. What's with the flower colour? I thought that chrysochete should have a red flower. Anyone else grow this?
DSCN3886.JPG
DSCN3887.JPG
DSCN3888.JPG
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Lobivia chrysochete MN133?

Post by Phil_SK »

Mats used to offer an MN133 and MN133a thus:
chrysochete MN 133 (Santa Ana, Arg) brown and flexible spines, orange-red flowers, lighter throat
chrysochete MN 133a (Santa Ana, 4000m, Arg) fl orange, red, rarely white

Yet Ralph's DB has 133 with white flowers with no mention of 133a. I'm guessing that some of his seedlings were orange-red and others white and he assigned 'a' to the latter but that the flower colour isn't very stable.
I couldn't remember which one I had but, having just checked, it appears I have both :oops: The MN133a is in flower today and is orange.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Nick_G »

Thanks Phil. I've just had a look at the back of the label to see where I got the seed or plant from and I got it from you as a young plant in 2012 :grin: . It's a nice plant so thank you very much.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
AndrewB
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by AndrewB »

That’s a beauty. I expect your pleased with it!

I have a few seedlings of chrysochete but no where near flowering size.
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.