Hatiora (Rhipsalidopsis) rosea

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
esp
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hatiora (Rhipsalidopsis) rosea

Post by esp »

In response to a wants thread, I photographed my plant today - something I should have done it a couple of weeks ago in peak bloom. It seems happy in a cool, North-East facing window in my bathroom.
Attachments
Hatiora_rosea-2922.jpg
Hatiora_rosea-2921.jpg
Hatiora_rosea-2920.jpg
Hatiora_rosea-2918.jpg
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Re: Hatiora (Rhipsalidopsis) rosea

Post by Ali Baba »

One of my favourite epiphytic cacti 😊 I have some 3 year old seedlings, no flowers yet
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Looks good. I find the trouble with this, and several similar plants, is they can do well for a while, then suddenly collapse, or at least, lose their roots.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

This is one of those plants, that in my experience anyway, seems to do well if grown in a very open orchid type mix of bark, perlite, sphagnum, and watered very often (daily in the summer) and kept very cool. The same goes for Hatiora herminiae and Schlumbergera opuntioides.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Ali Baba wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:21 pm This is one of those plants, that in my experience anyway, seems to do well if grown in a very open orchid type mix of bark, perlite, sphagnum, and watered very often (daily in the summer) and kept very cool. The same goes for Hatiora herminiae and Schlumbergera opuntioides.
I think it's in some Homebase potting compost (largely coir?) with a bit of perlite and cat litter. I often don't water it for weeks, certainly nowhere near daily in summer. It seems quite drought tolerant. I suspect the aspect is key - normally quite cool, so even if it is dry for a while it doesn't dehydrate much.
I've not had the other 2 plants, but would be keen to give them a go. I tried some H. herminiae seed a couple of month ago. Zero germination unfortunately.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

esp wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:11 pm
Ali Baba wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:21 pm This is one of those plants, that in my experience anyway, seems to do well if grown in a very open orchid type mix of bark, perlite, sphagnum, and watered very often (daily in the summer) and kept very cool. The same goes for Hatiora herminiae and Schlumbergera opuntioides.
I think it's in some Homebase potting compost (largely coir?) with a bit of perlite and cat litter. I often don't water it for weeks, certainly nowhere near daily in summer. It seems quite drought tolerant. I suspect the aspect is key - normally quite cool, so even if it is dry for a while it doesn't dehydrate much.
I've not had the other 2 plants, but would be keen to give them a go. I tried some H. herminiae seed a couple of month ago. Zero germination unfortunately.
I’m sure whatever you are doing is the right thing 😂. If you want to have another go with herminiae seed I will have loads later on, just pm me
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

ralphrmartin wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:27 pm I find the trouble with this, and several similar plants, is they can do well for a while, then suddenly collapse, or at least, lose their roots.
Ali Baba wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:21 pm This is one of those plants, that in my experience anyway, seems to do well if grown in a very open orchid type mix of bark, perlite, sphagnum, and watered very often (daily in the summer) and kept very cool.
I'd agree with Ralph and Ali Baba. If grown in a greenhouse with cactus favouring conditions, it can easily dry up, more so the basal segments than those higher up the stem. If grown as a house plant, including standard houseplant type watering regime, it's much happier. An epiphytic rainforest plant isn't going to be happy in desert conditions.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525