Large new outdoor c&s project

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Large new outdoor c&s project

Post by Paul in Essex »

My lockdown project :) The old fella next door died last year and his tumble-down old 20s built house eventually came up for sale. To cut a long story short we decided to buy it, mainly to preserve our tranquil bubble and save it being developed/new build/family from Hell etc.

The house was demolished and I asked for the rubble to be kept and spread over the footprint of the house and a couple of metres to the side. The whole site slopes southwest and in places on the upper slope the rubble is 4ft deep. So what I now have, in effect, is a large, open, sunny slope that - with all that masonry - is going to absolutely bake in summer. High lime content, prefect drainage. To say I am excited by the prospects is an understatement :lol:

I had some potted plants, also - having massively overplanted my existing garden - had loads of plants to transplant. I decided to plant multiples of things I know do well here so have a more limited palette of plants but planting on a bigger scale. I have so far planted/transplanted 40 cacti, 26 agaves, 12 yuccas, 10 nolina and a whole load of Mediterranean type plants. Plus a few experimentals, of course. I am keeping the hard landscaping to a minimum because a/ I like the challenge of letting the plants provide the structure and b/ I haven't got much money left :)

Away from the slope, clearing the neglected and massively overgrown site has been incredibly hard work but huge fun and very rewarding. We have found all kinds of original walls/paths etc including lovely old sundial that hadn't seen the light of day for decades. Dead trees and shrubs, self sown hollies, layered privet, a 40ft Russian vine, brambles as thick as my thumb. You couldn't walk around it at first.

I'll probably show updates of various things depending upon how they get on a grow. But already the first few things seem to revel in the extra light and warmth.
170621c.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: Large new outdoor c&s project

Post by Stuart »

Now that's impressive, once you have an idea like that you just have to do it. Looking forward to watching the progress. It won't be long before you get letters like we get that ask if you'd want to sell part of your garden for a building plot!

Stuart
Pattock
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Pattock »

I hope you had a mattock to use for the weed clearance.

Are you going to add an impenetrable hedge? Puya or something worse?
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Wow! What an opportunity. Can't wait to see more pictures!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Pattock wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:44 pm I hope you had a mattock to use for the weed clearance.

Are you going to add an impenetrable hedge? Puya or something worse?
Luckily we don't need a hedge. The plot is shaped loosely like Tenerife and the only open boundary is down at the narrow bottom, near the airport :) And that will be extra parking space. Yes, an ancient mattock and, yes, it was useful. My best tool, though, is a solid steel trenching spade with the tip sharpened.
Stuart wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:46 pm Now that's impressive, once you have an idea like that you just have to do it. Looking forward to watching the progress. It won't be long before you get letters like we get that ask if you'd want to sell part of your garden for a building plot!

Stuart
Funnily enough the week we bought it a friend of mine who lives nearby offered me an immediate profit on our outlay as he is looking for somewhere locally to build. It is a good spot - from the top of the plot, slightly to the left of Puerto de la Cruz, there is a rather fabulous location for a mirador with views across the estuary, should we get the funds to do it. Push comes to shove we could always sell it - a better investment than money in the bank - but hopefully nothing catastrophic will force that upon us.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

edds wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 pm Wow! What an opportunity. Can't wait to see more pictures!
Yes, I can still hardly believe it has happened, tbh.

I will update this thread with pics now and then.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

That's a big undertaking, have you got a picture of the old place before it was 'taken down, lots of plants in already , you have been busy
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

Hi Paul, that is a great bed your making their. New ventures are always exciting.
I thought that puya reminded me of chillyensis. Three flowers very impressive. And a lovely garden you've created.
I'm shore the new one will be just as good,, ( room for another greenhouse :wink:)
I've a few hardy cacti for you to try, as I mentioned before.
Happy growing
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

¿Tenerifito? ¿O Tenerife del Norte?
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Fantastic Paul, I look forward to seeing how it develops
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.