Anime

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Pattock
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Anime

Post by Pattock »

Some of the more tasteful Japanese anime artists include quite delightful botanical scenery. In this case, they have some in the foreground. This Aloe polyphylla is from the trailer of an upcoming anime film to be carried by Netflix, called Bubble. It might be modelled on a photo that comes high in an image search.

aloe.jpg
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Anime

Post by Aiko »

This speaking of Aloe polyphylla reminded me to have a look at some more in debt cultivation for Aloe polyphylla during the winter. I got four plants in a swap from Tina earlier this year. And I still needed to find out if I could keep them outside during winter or it would be better to keep them dryer in an unheated greenhouse. So I came across this interesting article: http://www.viridis.net/cactus/aloe_poly.html which I would like to pass on to other Aloe polyphylla interested persons up here. Probably best to keep them outside all year, is my conclusion.
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Christian »

The website is that of Clarke Brunt - who is the donor of the Aloe polyphylla seed on the BCSS list! I had a good number of larger plants outside a few winters ago and lost the lot bar one. I suspect it might have been snow on these which partly melted and then refroze which led to rot. That last plant of mine is still out in the cold and rain, but I will bring it under cover should it snow.
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

What size are they Aiko? I'd keep them inside, but watered, if they're not big.
My largest is in a half barrel and stays outside. The next largest, in a 40cm bowl, is inside but I'm planning for it stay outside from next year onwards.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Christian wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:46 pm I suspect it might have been snow on these which partly melted and then refroze which led to rot. That last plant of mine is still out in the cold and rain, but I will bring it under cover should it snow.
That’s what happened to mine in the 2010 / 2011 ‘proper winter’ along with a few Agaves, a tree fern and a lot of those Mediterranean plants that also won’t tolerate being wet and then freezing solid.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

edds wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:29 am What size are they Aiko? I'd keep them inside, but watered, if they're not big.
My largest is in a half barrel and stays outside. The next largest, in a 40cm bowl, is inside but I'm planning for it stay outside from next year onwards.
About 7 centimeters wide. Maybe I will bring them in. I still don't know.
It was -4C last night. The first bit of decent frost they had to go through.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Aiko wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:59 am
edds wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:29 am What size are they Aiko? I'd keep them inside, but watered, if they're not big.
About 7 centimeters wide. Maybe I will bring them in. I still don't know.
It was -4C last night. The first bit of decent frost they had to go through.
My ones of that size (sown this year) are definitely inside! I wouldn't have those outside still personally.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
barv
Registered Guest

Post by barv »

May I ask what lowest safe temperature would be?
I keep my outside if it’s above -4C at night but bring them in if it’s getting colder.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

My two have been outside for some years now. They are against a south facing wall under the eaves which keeps much of the bad weather away.
The smaller one is going into a permanent bed next spring.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

barv wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:30 pm May I ask what lowest safe temperature would be?
I keep my outside if it’s above -4C at night but bring them in if it’s getting colder.
Mine are kept frost free until I feel they are big enough to stay outside. However I'm not saying they need that and someone much more experienced than me will need to give you an answer! I think a big part of protecting a plant under glass is preventing a 'deep freeze' of the rootball and also cutting the drying and wind chill effects of very cold winds.
Ed

BCSS member 53038